Re: [rtcweb] MTI Video Codec: a novel proposal

Tim Panton <tim@phonefromhere.com> Mon, 10 November 2014 17:46 UTC

From: Tim Panton <tim@phonefromhere.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 17:40:27 +0000
To: miconda@gmail.com
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] MTI Video Codec: a novel proposal

> On 10 Nov 2014, at 16:51, Daniel-Constantin Mierla <miconda@gmail.com <mailto:miconda@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> On 10/11/14 11:29, tim panton wrote:
>> Adam, thanks for sticking you head above the parapet !
>> I’m largely in favour of this solution, further, I think it represents the realities on the ground
>
> It looks more like the reality on the ground of a few groups of
> interests (e.g, GSMA, telco vendors) trying to protect themselves. But
> again, in the web/internet world I don't see the same reality, they must
> stay competitive with features, not with restrictions or barriers to
> potential competitors.

On the subject of codecs, I discount the opinion of the GSMA utterly,
they have had 10 years  to make video calling (and wideband audio)
a desirable user proposition and have failed completely.

The realities I’m thinking of are the ones facing someone building a
video enabled pet phone (for example). I can get H264 hardware very
cheaply (eg a raspberry Pi) and have it communicate with an ios App
or firefox on a laptop without any license (as far as I can tell).
Getting the same setup to work with VP8 will consume significantly
more battery power at both ends.

I wish this were not the case, but that’s the reality I see.

> If something costly or with other restrictions is technically better or
> improving the user experience a lot in some medium of communication,
> then the developer of some app can decide to use/implement it. There is
> no reason of enforcing limits and financial constraints to everyone in
> open web via specs supposed to become standard.

If we mandate both codecs for devices, I agree, we are imposing an unacceptable
burden on everyone.
However I’m doubtful that any entity who can afford to build a new
w3c standards compatible browser will be unable to afford the (capped) h264 fee,
that’s simply a measure of how much work I think it is to do a new user agent now.
So the penalty in terms of restricting new browser innovation is small  (IMHO)
I’m much more worried about innovative devices.

> Rather than forcing now something inconvenient to be re-evaluated later
> for removal, better don't force anything now and re-evaluate later for
> inclusion. It will allow the market (besides the big players) to decide
> freely where it wants to move. The current proposal looks like: let's
> close the group now and later decide if we allow others in. Why not the
> other way around, keep the market fully open for new comers now and see
> what is going to be out there in few years, whether it makes sense to
> start building the walls at that moment.

That’s where we disagree. I really do not want to have to have a complex
matrix of versions of my parrot phone that correctly interop with other devices and
other pairings that don’t.

(E.G. buy a new android tablet and our android app if you use chrome, but if you reuse
an old ipad, you’ll have to use firefox).

We need an MTI statement. If we don’t get one we will be stuck with little
facetime-like islands again.