Re: [rtcweb] draft-alvestrand-one-rtp-00.txt ICE usage

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu> Fri, 12 August 2011 15:56 UTC

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 11:57:14 -0400
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu>
To: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] draft-alvestrand-one-rtp-00.txt ICE usage

Trimming, and changing subject

> On 08/12/11 16:55, Paul Kyzivat wrote:

>>> I tried to be explicit that if negotiation is successful, only the ICE
>>> parameters from the first section listed in the A=group:TOGETHER would
>>> be used:
>>
>> Sure. But if the other side *doesn't* support TOGETHER, then ICE will
>> need to be negotiated independently for each m-line. And for that to
>> work, the port for the 2nd m-line but be active, other ICE candidates
>> identified and included for it, etc.
>>
>> ISTM the implications of that need further explanation.
>> (I'm not an expert on ICE. If I were, maybe this would be obvious.)
> There are 2 possible things to do for the offerer:
> - Start ICE procedure on all ports when sending the offer
> - Wait until the answer comes back, and either start ICE procedure on
> one port (if the responder understood TOGETHER), or start the ICE
> procedure on all ports (if the responder did not understand TOGETHER)
>
> The first alternative is a number of milliseconds faster, but others
> should chime in on whether that's significant or not.

(I don't know much about ICE, so just call me on it if I say something
stupid)

IIUC, there are some aspects of ICE that MUST be done before sending the
offer. Specifically that involved gathering the candidate list, which
may involve assignment of multiple local ports, interactions with a TURN
server, etc. I don't think everything can be deferred until the answer
is received.

(I suppose one approach would be for the initial offer to set the port
to zero in all but the first m-line. Then, once the first answer is
received, indicating whether TOGETHER is supported, another offer can be
generated, using appropriate ICE based on whether using TOGETHER or not.
But that does start to get complex.)

	Thanks,
	Paul