Re: [rtcweb] Use of offer / answer semantics

Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> Tue, 06 September 2011 15:47 UTC

Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 18:49:16 +0300
From: Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org>
To: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Use of offer / answer semantics

Hey Cullen,

На 06.09.11 17:46, Cullen Jennings написа:

> In my roll as an individual contributor, I want to propose some text
> that I think we can get rough consensus on around that helps specify
> which parts of the signaling issues we agree on and which we don't.
>
> At the last meeting, my read of the the room was there was a fair
> amount of agreement in the room that offer / answer semantics  with
> SDP are what we want to use. I don't think there was was broad
> agreement on if one should use SIP or not, or for that matter jingle.
> If we can nail down this decisions as the direction the WG is going,
> it will really help make progress. What I would like to do is propose
> some following principles in the text below. If we have agreement on
> these, then they would go into the overview document and help guide
> the design of other documents. I want to highlight that none of the
> principles below imply that we would need to use SIP in the browsers
> - the principals would all work fine if we there was signaling
> gateway in the web server that converged SIP to whatever proprietary
> HTML / JS  / HTTP that the applications wanted to use between the
> browser and the web server.
>

> 1) The media negotiations will be done using the same SDP
> offer/answer semantics that are used in SIP.

Does this cover media format negotiation only or does it also cover
transport negotiation? I believe you once mentioned you were a fan of
"sending ICE candidates as they become available" and for that to happen
we'd probably need something more XMPP-like than SIP/SDP-like.

> 2) It will be possible to gateway between legacy SIP devices that
> support ICE and appropriate RTP / SDP mechanisms and codecs without
> using a media gateway. A signaling gateway to convert between the
> signaling on the web side to the SIP signaling may be needed.

+1

> 3) When a new codec is specified, and the SPD for the new codec is
> specified in the MMUSIC WG, no other standardization would should be
> required for it to be possible to use that in the web browsers.

I was about to suggest we should also mention the result from the
PAYLOAD WG here (rather than MMUSIC only) but I believe that's actually
what Colin meant.

Cheers,
Emil