Re: [rtcweb] HIP option for draft-ietf-rtcweb-overview and which ICE?

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Thu, 29 September 2011 21:39 UTC

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 23:42:12 +0200
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: Henry Sinnreich <henry.sinnreich@gmail.com>
Cc: quittek@nw.neclab.eu, stiemerling@nw.neclab.eu, "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>, lars.eggert@nokia.com
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] HIP option for draft-ietf-rtcweb-overview and which ICE?

On 09/29/2011 10:49 PM, Henry Sinnreich wrote:
>> I'm having a hard time finding this draft. do you have a pointer...
> Sorry, my shortened link was not inaccurate. It is
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rosenberg-mmusic-ice-nonsip-01
>
> I don't know if/how MMUSIC has pursued this topic.
> Does anyone? Jonathan?
Having an 18-page ICE draft rather than the complete > 100 page ICE spec
to read was refreshing. I don't think any new technology was described
here; it's mostly explanation on how to think about ICE.

My personal view is that the draft does not go far enough in the
separation of concerns for maximum readability; there are two concerns
when using ICE as part of a protocol suite:

- Whether ICE setup information can be exchanged between the endpoints.
This is a matter dealt with in SIP and Jingle, but could equally well be
done by writing to/reading from an Oracle database or exchanging slips
of paper with IP addresses on them on a parkbench at midnight (just to
be melodramatic).

- Whether ICE messages can be used safely, and reliably separated from
payload messages on the media link. This is a matter that concerns RTP,
SCTP, DTLS and so on.

Those two things are very separable concerns, and if the authors had
desired, they could have been treated in completely separate documents.
It might have made the packet easier to digest.

                Harald