[rtcweb] Continuing to assert username/password (Re: FW: Adopting draft-muthu-behave-consent-freshness?)

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Tue, 17 September 2013 08:34 UTC

Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 10:34:10 +0200
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: [rtcweb] Continuing to assert username/password (Re: FW: Adopting draft-muthu-behave-consent-freshness?)

Changing subject line in order to make life easier for those who try to
review comments on the original subject....

On 09/17/2013 07:10 AM, Ram Mohan R (rmohanr) wrote:
> Hi Please see inline

The text below is wrong.

If, as is commonly the case, an attacker has the ability to inject
packets on the wire with the same IP address as the victim, the attacker
can forge ICE packets.

If the victim's correspondent checks MESSAGE-INTEGRITY (which implicitly
checks username and password), he will detect that these packets don't
have the correct authorization, and throw them away.

If the victim's correspondent does not check MESSAGE-INTEGRITY, the
attacker can keep renewing any consent to receive as long as he wants,
even though the victim wanted to stop consenting.

Since the whole purpose of consent-freshness is to allow the potential
victim to stop consenting to receiving traffic, checking
MESSAGE-INTEGRITY (which implictily checks username and password) is
necessary.

This whole paragraph should be deleted from the "Security
Considerations" section and replaced with text properly describing the
situation.