Re: [rtcweb] URIs for rtcweb "calls"

Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com> Mon, 15 August 2011 17:53 UTC

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 10:54:22 -0700
From: Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>
To: "Timothy B. Terriberry" <tterriberry@mozilla.com>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] URIs for rtcweb "calls"

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 4:45 AM, Timothy B. Terriberry
<tterriberry@mozilla.com> wrote:
> By "full game context" do you mean it would somehow load an http webpage
> with HTML+CSS+JS to handle the signaling? If that's the case, what
> advantages does this offer over normal http[s] URLs (with a path to the
> necessary page and parameters, etc. needed to carry sufficient information
> to establish the session). That certainly seems to already cover the case
> of, "A URI that I could use to paste into a chat window." How does it handle
> all the things that an http[s] URL already provides (port, path, caching,
> proxies, all the associated services built around http (e.g. bit.ly), etc.)?

As I mentioned in my response to Matthew, I'm thinking abut a range of
potential use cases. For the gaming site example where a full web
context is created, I agree that an HTTPS URI could do the same thing.
 You do get some minor advantages in using a distinct URI scheme,
primarily in early identification that the resulting context will be a
rtcweb context.  This might allow you apply permissions early, like a
parental permission against use of rtcweb, or to allow the device to
start setting up elements of its local context early.  It also allows
you to standardize how you to identify the signaling context and
target entity, which I doubt you could do in HTTPS URIs.  The
arguments for and against scheme proliferation have been going for
quite a while now, of course, so I understand that many people would
prefer that there be only HTTPS URIs here.

For the case where you are setting up something closer to a
web-chat-with-an-agent-for-the-ad-seen here, I think the amount of
page context will be very small, and that it will be closer to the
experience of the browser/app setting up its default widgets for this.

Just my personal opinion,

Ted