Re: [rtcweb] Making progress on the signaling discussion (NB: Actionitems enclosed!)

"Ravindran Parthasarathi" <pravindran@sonusnet.com> Wed, 05 October 2011 18:34 UTC

Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 00:06:30 +0530
From: Ravindran Parthasarathi <pravindran@sonusnet.com>
To: Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Making progress on the signaling discussion (NB: Actionitems enclosed!)

Hi Ted,

Thanks for providing the opportunity to present my draft.

The main advantage of having standard signaling protocol are

1)      Easy RTCWeb app development by non-real-time Web developer.

2)      Better performance compare to JS based signaling

Sec 3 (Issues without RTCWeb standard signaling protocol) and Sec 4
(Standard RTCWeb signaling protocol advantages) are added to explain the
need for standard signaling protocol. My intention of sec 3 & sec 4 to
indicate that the weakness of "nothing" as a protocol and also to
indicate standard signaling protocol does not stop custom made signaling
protocol.  I understand from the review comments that the text in these
section has to be revised for clarity . Also few points which I received
as part of the draft review comment has to be added. Please let me know
in case you wish to see any specific point in these sections.

I completely understand the "time to market" need for the RTCWeb
specification and also "n" of difference of opinion starting from
"nothing" to n number of variant of "standard signaling protocol". I
have mentioned the list of existing signaling protocol  in sec 6 to
select by which the time to develop the signaling protocol will be
avoided and also most of the existing protocol would have matured by
now. Also, I have added sec 5 of the draft to provide the strong
technical requirement of RTCWeb signaling which helps to select the
protocol in sec 6. Please let me know in case more concrete way to solve
this issue.

Thanks

Partha