[rtcweb] Diffserv QoS for Video - summary

"Black, David" <david.black@emc.com> Sat, 07 May 2016 01:13 UTC

From: "Black, David" <david.black@emc.com>
To: "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>, "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Date: Sat, 07 May 2016 01:13:29 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.13.35.178]
Cc: "Black, David" <david.black@emc.com>
Subject: [rtcweb] Diffserv QoS for Video - summary

Many thanks for the productive comments - I'm replying to my own message in an attempt to summarize the discussion and what ought to be done to the drafts as a result.

-- [A] Brian Carpenter asked: what is the definition of "interactive"?

Paul Jones answered: from RFC 4594, which comes from G.1010.

IMHO, both drafts should cite RFC 4594 and G.1010 for this discussion and definition.

-- [B] Brian Carpenter asked about whether the WebRTC API supports a parameter to distinguish interactive video from non-interactive video.

The definitive answer from a number of sources (e.g., Stefan HÃ¥kansson) is "No."   There is additional text in the tsvwg-rtcweb-qos draft that will need to be revised to align with this answer (e.g., for WebRTC, there is no input to the browser to distinguish interactive vs. non-interactive video and the browser SHOULD NOT try to do so on its own).

-- [C] Bernard Aboba wondered  whether a "non-interactive" marking/priority would deliver anything useful to application developers independent of whether or not it's supported in the WebRTC API..

My perception is that the answer here is "Yes" which leads to leaving the Non-Interactive Video flow type in the tsvwg-rtcweb-qos draft, but making it clear that use of Web RTC via the browser API currently does not (and cannot) use that flow type.

-- [D] Finally, Brian Carpenter asked about non-interactive audio:

  Finally, why is audio not also subdivided into interactive and
  non-interactive? As far as I can see, both are logically possible.

I believe the answer is a lack of interest combined with absence of support in WebRTC "running code".

Further comments?

Absent further discussion, I'll work offline with the draft authors on text changes for both drafts in accordance with this summary.

Thanks, --David