Re: [rtcweb] Google VP8 Patent Grant for third parties [Was Re:Proposal for H.263 baseline codec]

Basil Mohamed Gohar <basilgohar@librevideo.org> Wed, 04 April 2012 13:42 UTC

Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 09:42:12 -0400
From: Basil Mohamed Gohar <basilgohar@librevideo.org>
To: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Google VP8 Patent Grant for third parties [Was Re:Proposal for H.263 baseline codec]

Paul,

What you are asking for is something no one in the media industry offers
for something comparable.  As was pointed out elsewhere on this list,
even the H.264 standard has been updated to include additional patents
over time deemed to be "essential".  One could be non-infringing in the
past and suddenly find yourself infringing.

I don't know what all of Google's public statements about VP8 IPR status
are, but we know that the patents they own are granted via the license,
and we know that a public call for the formation of a patent pool over a
year ago has yielded not even a follow-up announcement from MPEG-LA.

Furthermore, not a single patent has been brought forward publicly as
being even remotely doubtful as to its application to VP8.

So, until there is some actual evidence that there is an IPR threat,
then with all due respect, statements such as yours must be classified
as spreading FUD, because they serve to drive adoption away from a free,
open, unencumbered standard to one that is on baseless claims.

--
Libre Video
http://librevideo.org