Re: [rtcweb] Video Codec discussion in Thursday agenda slot

Matthew Kaufman <matthew@matthew.at> Tue, 12 March 2013 18:26 UTC

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 11:26:22 -0700
From: Matthew Kaufman <matthew@matthew.at>
To: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Cc: Stuart Cheshire <cheshire@apple.com>, rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Video Codec discussion in Thursday agenda slot

I don't get it either. Until Google posted their announcement, nothing
had changed since the last postponement. Once Google posted their
announcement, it was posted too late to be of any value for this
meeting. And the relevant legal text (among other things) is still "TBD"
and not even available for review.

I will reiterate what I said on March 7th: "Therefore I believe the most
sensible action is to once again delay the MTI video codec discussion,
remove it from the agenda from the upcoming meeting, and have the call
for an MTI codec at a later time... no sooner than several weeks after
the relevant license terms are even available to review. I hope the
chairs concur."

The chairs now have requests from at least three participants to
entirely defer the presentation and discussion. I cannot see how this
could possibly have less weight than the single request received the
very morning of the meeting last time.

We can hold a consensus call on the list right now regarding whether or
not to proceed if these three requests are not enough.

Matthew Kaufman