Re: [rtcweb] No Plan

Gunnar Hellstrom <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se> Thu, 30 May 2013 21:04 UTC

Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 23:03:58 +0200
From: Gunnar Hellstrom <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] No Plan

Interesting.

I find it to be good to have a specified ambition for legacy
interoperability.
But I cannot see how we could specify it without RTP based real-time
text on the SIP side.

It seems that you mean that support for sessions with media beyond the
defined limited legacy session will be specified and implemented for
each application where they appear.

I think that leaves real-time text usage with too high risk of not
achieving harmonized interoperability and not being supported in an
harmonized way. It needs to be included in the interoperability
specification.

A very important driving force behind legacy interop will be emergency
service access. We have touched that before, and there has been varying
acceptance for that fact, but it will be needed. The emergency services
cannot be expected to set up parallel systems for each call control
environment, but will need to get calls converted to SIP. And video,
audio, real-time text and text messaging are specified for the
interface. I think it is best to accept to build that whole set of media
into rtcweb from the beginning.

This set of media is of course not only used for emergency calling, but
also for user-to-user sessions. It is just that the emergency service is
a good harmonizing factor. What you need to do to interoperate with
emergency services is convenient to also offer for interop with other
providers.

This reasoning is not isolated to the No Plan, but it stood out so clear
in your chapter about the limited interoperability plan.

The No Plan would just need to be extended with reasoning about m=text
for RTP based real-time text.

(It possibly need some text about text messaging also if there is any
interest in that. Someone else need to argue for that. Is it sdp -
negotiated MSRP that would be the natural choice, requiring a discussion
of data channel inclusion in the draft?)

/Gunnar