Re: [rtcweb] Summary of ICE discussion

"Ravindran Parthasarathi" <pravindran@sonusnet.com> Wed, 05 October 2011 06:05 UTC

Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 11:37:32 +0530
From: Ravindran Parthasarathi <pravindran@sonusnet.com>
To: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>, rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Summary of ICE discussion

In case user consent is the reason for ICE, ICE may not be right choice because of the multiplexing RTP in RTCWeb and user may be consent for audio and not for video which is not possible to indicate through ICE. It is possible to achieve by having different streams for each media but I strongly believe that it is not interesting topic for RTCWeb.

I think that trust model with browser---RTCWeb server---browser for the user consent with individual media stream works because browser user trust RTCWeb server. I could think of offer/answer as user consent with media stream mechanism because offer or answer indicates media port is allocated in browser and listening for media from remote party, the consent reaches remote browser through RTCWeb server. The advantage in the model is that RTCWeb server shall have the policy to control media. Please let me know your comments on this.

The other reason like NAT & FW is not mandatory for intranet RTCWeb applications. I have mentioned as part of http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rtcweb/current/msg01619.html

Thanks
Partha