Re: [rtcweb] Resolution negotiation - a contribution

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Thu, 12 April 2012 16:51 UTC

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 18:51:52 +0200
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: Marshall Eubanks <marshall.eubanks@gmail.com>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Resolution negotiation - a contribution

On 04/12/2012 06:19 PM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 4:46 AM, Harald Alvestrand<harald@alvestrand.no>  wrote:
>> Hello folks,
>>
>> after the IETF, I've attempted to gather together information about
>> resolution negotiation and what we might need to do there.
>>
>> I pulled together the paragraphs below - this may want to be incorporated in
>> an I-D on "SDP usage in RTCWEB", or it may want to go somewhere else.
>> Chairs' guidance is appreciated.
>>
>> At the moment, I have it in xml2rfc format, so it should be easy to do
>> cut-and-paste on it, but don't want to push it as a separate I-D unless
>> that's what the chairs desire.
>> Note - there are some QUERY sections in there - I'm unsure what those should
>> be resolved to.
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>>                          Harald
>>
>> 2.  Requirements
>>
>>    The relevant requirement for video resolution negotiation from the
>>    RTCWEB use cases document
>>    [I-D.ietf-rtcweb-use-cases-and-requirements] is:
>>
>>    o  F25 The browser SHOULD use encoding of streams suitable for the
>>       current rendering (e.g. video display size) and SHOULD change
>>       parameters if the rendering changes during the session.
>>
>>    The resulting need is:
>>
>>    o  To negotiate a maximum spatial resolution for all videos at call
>>       setup time
>>
>>    o  To negotiate a maximum temporal resolution ("frame rate") across
>>       all videos at call setup time
>>
> It is not clear if this is "per session" or "per browser" and that
> should be made clear.
Since this is negotiation, it has to be observable across the wire,
which means that it's negotiated per SDP session - that is, per
PeerConnection pair, which has an SDP session between them. I don't see
how it could be otherwise.
>   Here is why it makes a difference:
>
> Per session maximum video limits can give rise to a "race to the
> bottom" in the case of a mixed multiparty conference.
>
> Suppose, for example, you have 4 parties. One is on a low powered
> phone with a low bandwidth connection, and
> all they can handle is SIF at 384 kbps and 15 fps. The other three
> have the power to handle 1048p at>  1 Mbps and 30 fps.
>
> Restriction of all uses to the capability of the least-capable
> participant is, for example, not
> likely to go over well in mixed RTCWEB / CLUE Telepresence sessions.
I break this up differently than  you do..... we might be talking about
the same thing still.

for the mesh conferencing situation, each participant has a direct
connection to the "weakling".
That session will need to negotiate down to what's available. It's up to
the app to decide whether it produces multiple streams at different
resolutions or not (and up to the browser to figure out if it can
support that).

For the centralized scenario, either the central unit provides
downsampling (or stripping, if the end nodes are doing some kind of AVC
or simulcast), or the "race to the bottom" you worry about will happen.

The word "session" has become one of the words I try to avoid using
without a qualifier....