Re: [rtcweb] Minimal SDP negotiation mechanism

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Wed, 21 September 2011 06:59 UTC

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 09:02:08 +0200
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Minimal SDP negotiation mechanism

On 09/20/2011 10:08 PM, Cullen Jennings wrote:
> I think this sounds about right to me - I have been thinking about a draft along the lines of this and showing how it maps to SIP. Keep in mind there are also cases where one sides sends an OFFER, gets an ANSWER, but that ANSWER has an error.
Yes, I discussed this at our team yesterday - it seems to me that the
offer/answer model only gives you 2 options here:
- Send another OFFER  and hope for a more appropriate ANSWER
- Give up and signal that the connection is closed

We don't have a message that fits in the SDP offer/answer model that
allows you to inform the correspondent that the ANSWER was erroneous;
this may argue that the PeerConnection needs to inform the Javascript
layer and let that layer decide what to do.
>   I think another key component is that a signaling GW needs to pass along an opaque blob that gets passed back to it so you can signaling GW that are only transaction state full and don't have to retain state for the duration of the communications.
Certainly desirable (for gateways that don't want to mess with blob
internals). So far, it has seemed to us that the operation line + the
SDP blob forms exactly that type of blob.
>   You also need some identifier information so that a JS application participating in multiple sessions can know what session a given piece of SDP goes with.
When the message goes between JS and PeerConnection, there is such an
identifier: The PeerConnection object itself. Do we need more?
If the ID needs to be passed outside of the JS execution context, we
need a globally unique identifier. But I'm not sure we need one all the
time, and if a specific application needs it, it can generate one.