Re: WGLC comments on bfd-mpls-05

Carlos Pignataro <cpignata@cisco.com> Wed, 07 May 2008 18:55 UTC

Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 14:54:57 -0400
From: Carlos Pignataro <cpignata@cisco.com>
To: Rahul Aggarwal <rahul@juniper.net>
Subject: Re: WGLC comments on bfd-mpls-05
Cc: Ross Callon <rcallon@juniper.net>, rtg-bfd@ietf.org, dward@cisco.com
Sender: rtg-bfd-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Rahul,

On 5/6/2008 8:40 PM, Rahul Aggarwal said the following:
> Hi Carlos,
>
> We are down to a couple of points. Please see below:

Yes, thank you for your responses and revisions. Please see inline.

> <snipped>

>>> No. The modified text will say the following:
>>>
>>> "The BFD control packet sent by the egress LSR MUST have a well known
>>> destination port 4784, if it is routed [BFD-MHOP], or it MUST have a
>>> well known destination port 3784 [BFD-IP] if it is encapsulated in a
>>> MPLS label stack. The source port MUST be assigned by the egress lSR
>>> as per the procedures in [BFD-IP]."
>>>
>> Thanks. That clarifies.
>>
>> Regarding IP addresses, that para would continue with something like
>> this, right?
>>
>>     The source IP address is a routable address of the replier.  The
>>     destination IP address MUST be copied from the source IP address of
>>     the LSP-Ping echo request message received from the ingress LSR.
>>

> Something like that, yes.
>
>> Also, I just noticed that the regarding the TTL, the text says (does it
>> apply to both directions since it's in a separate para?):
>>
>>     The IP TTL MUST be set to 1.
>>
>> Is this done intentionally to ensure intercepting the packet to the
>> control plane in the ingress -> egress direction (even with the
>> destination in 127/8)?
>
> Look at section 4.4 of RFC4379. I will add a reference to that.

OK, thanks. (I was asking because the IP TTL 1 processing exception does
not apply to the e2e PW case, and there is the PW-ACH exception)

>> If so, could the Security Considerations mention
>> that the GTSM is not in effect in that direction,
>> and with a routed
>> multi-hop reply? Or should it be set to 255 and GTSM-checked on receipt?
>> And in the egress -> ingress direction, should the TTL be set to 255
>> (and checked for GTSM if the dest port if 3784, but not if the dest port
>> is 4784)?
>>

> The revised text will make it clear that for a routed reply
> [BFD-MHOP] applies and otherwise [BFD-IP] applies. I don't think
> there is any need to state the above here.

Thanks. Would this apply only to encapsulation (since the text is within
the Encapsulation section), or also to the GTSM procedures from
[BFD-IP]? Could that be clarified as well, since it might not be
directly apparent?

> <snipped>

>>> This draft specifies procedures for *only BFD*. Hence the entire
>>> CV type discussion is simply not relevant.

>>> As I said this draft specifies fully standalone procedures to run BFD over
>>> a MPLS LSP including PWs. For a bidrectional LSP both
>>> ends are supposed to be configured for BFD.
>>>
>>> Signaling BFD as a CV type is certainly not required for the procedures in
>>> this draft.
>> If this specification makes use of the control channel from RFC5085 for
>> PW LSPs, only fault detection message payload types that are signaled
>> and agreed as CV types can run over the control channel, from RFC5085.
>>

> Please see below.

>>> For the procedures in this draft bootstrapping using LSP-Ping is a MUST.
>>> As for reasons for using LSP-Ping for PWs in conjunction with BFD see
>>> section 3.2:
>>>
>>> ""In addition to
>>>    this presence of the FEC in the echo request message makes is
>>>    possible to verify the control plane against the data plane at the
>>>    egress LSR."
>>>
>> Yes. Agreed.
>>

> Great.
>
>> Along these lines, the Session Establishment procedures in Section 6 say:
>>
>>     On receipt of the LSP-Ping echo request message, the egress LSR MUST
>>     send a BFD control packet to the ingress LSR.  This BFD control
>>     packet MUST set the Your Discriminator field to the discriminator
>>     received from the ingress LSR in the LSP-Ping echo request message.
>>
>> I think this should additionally require successful FEC Validation
>> ("Validate FEC Stack" flag in the MPLS echo request) before sending a
>> BFD control packet back, or at least a successful (return-code 3) label
>> operation check on receipt of the MPLS Echo request.
>>

> This is normal LSP-Ping procedure.

The normal LSP-Ping procedure generates an LSP-Ping reply with a result
code that could differ from "AOK", and could for example be "Replying
router has no mapping for the FEC at stack-depth <RSC>" or "No label
entry at stack-depth <RSC>"; in these cases, in the new procedures, I
think that the egress LSR should not send a BFD control packet (as there
is a FEC<->Label mismatch detected, and the feature of using LSP-Ping
with BFD so that "the presence of the FEC in the echo request message
makes is possible to verify the control plane against the data plane at
the egress LSR" would become a NOOP). Shouldn't the BFD session be
bootstrapped only after a successful control-plane checking (and ideally
including FEC Validation)?

>>> The use of PW-ACH is spelled out in RFC5085. The use of other CV types is
>>> simply not relevant to this draft as it covers only BFD.
>> LSP-Ping over PW-ACH is defined in RFC5085, so the LSP-Ping CV Type is
>> relevant for the PW case, or it could not bootstrap the session. From
>> RFC5085, for other connectivity-verification/payload types (like BFD)
>> over the PW-ACH, a CV Type is needed.
>>
>> The procedures in this draft strictly seem to update these rules, with
>> an implicit CV Type "negotiation"/agreement by means of sending (at the
>> ingress LSR) and parsing/understanding (at the egress LSR) the BFD
>> Discriminator TLV in the MPLS Echo request. There is the bootstrapping
>> (and LSP-Ping as a CV Type over the PW-ACH should have been negotiated
>> before this can happen for the PW case from RFC5085) as a "negotiation",
>> so there wouldn't be unexpected CV Types/payloads received (if the BFD
>> TLV is not supported it would result in "TLV not understood" since it's
>> 15). But I think this would need to be spelled out.
>>

> How about inserting the following text to clarify this:

I think this clarifies, with two small comments inline, thanks:

> "To enable fault detection procedures specified in this document, for a
> particular MPLS LSP, this document requires the ingress and
> egress LSRs to be configured. This includes configuration for supporting
> BFD and LSP-Ping as specified in this document. It also includes
> configuration that enables to the ingress LSR to determine the
                ^
                or signaling

> method used by the egress LSR to identify OAM packets e.g. whether the TTL
> of the innermost MPLS label needs to be set to 1 to enable the egress LSR
> to identify the OAM packet. This applies to fault detection for MPLS PWs
> as well.

"For fault detection for MPLS PWs, this document also assume that a PW
control channel (e.g., a PW-ACH) and support for LSP-Ping are provided
prior to initializing the procedures specified in this document, as
specified in [RFC5085]. "

or something along those lines.

> Extending [RFC5085] procedures to signal BFD capability
> between PW endpoints is outside the scope of this document."

Should this pointer to [RFC5085] be normative, and the one to
pwe3-vccv-bfd in "The use of BFD for PWs is further described in [VCCV]
and [OAM-MAP]." be informative?

Thanks,

--Carlos.