Re: Éric Vyncke's Discuss on draft-ietf-bfd-vxlan-09: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org> Wed, 18 December 2019 20:27 UTC

Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 15:31:45 -0500
From: Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org>
To: "Carlos Pignataro (cpignata)" <cpignata@cisco.com>
Cc: "Eric Vyncke (evyncke)" <evyncke@cisco.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-bfd-vxlan@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-bfd-vxlan@ietf.org>, "rtg-bfd@ietf.org" <rtg-bfd@ietf.org>, "bfd-chairs@ietf.org" <bfd-chairs@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Éric Vyncke's Discuss on draft-ietf-bfd-vxlan-09: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Carlos, Éric,

Note that I'm not an expert in the underlying MPLS technologies.  I'll make
two notes:

BFD for vxlan is in a similar feature-space as RFC 5884, BFD for MPLS.

RFC 5884, section 7, paragraph 3, suggests a TTL of 1 and provides a
reference to RFC 4379.

RFC 4379, section 4.3, provides procedures for TTL of 1.

My personal inference would be that implementations at least in MPLS-land
really want the TTL to be 1 for purposes of doing appropriate encapsulation
checks.

I agree that GTSM procedures would suggest we may want TTL of 255.

I suggest the answer we're looking for here would be provided by parties
with appropriate history on why RFC 4379 recommends its procedures.

Failing that, I suspect BFD for vxlan is no worse than 4379.

-- Jeff