Re: Rtgdir last call review of draft-ietf-bfd-vxlan-07

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Thu, 06 June 2019 03:20 UTC

Subject: Re: Rtgdir last call review of draft-ietf-bfd-vxlan-07
To: Greg Mirsky <gregimirsky@gmail.com>
Cc: rtg-dir@ietf.org, rtg-bfd WG <rtg-bfd@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-bfd-vxlan.all@ietf.org, IETF list <ietf@ietf.org>
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2019 23:20:38 -0400

I am having trouble parsing your response.  Apologies.
The first part talks about a VTEP receiving a packet, and determining if
there is a receiver VM for the inner MAC.  That is a quote from 7348
Section 4.1.  I understand it.

You then go on to quote from section 5 of the BFD over VxLAN
specification saying that it modifies this to specify that the VTEP
checks for its own MAC address.
The only problem is that the VTEP is not part of the tenant network.
Any MAC address you want it to use may be in use by the tenant network.
As far as I know, in normal VxLAN oepration, VTEPs do NOT have their own
MAC addresses within the scope of the VNI.

Now, if you say that BFD will only be used with VNI 0 (i.e. a VNI that
is not assigned to a tenant), then the conflict goes away.  But again,
there is no need for special MAC checking.  Just declare that the VTEP
looks for OAM content on VNI 0.

So no, your proposed change does not address my concern, as "VTEP's MAC
address is not, to the best of my knowledge, a well-defined term.  I am
happy to be shown where such a thing is defined for use within tenant VNIs.

Yours,
Joel