LC comments single hop

Carlos Garcia Braschi <cgbraschi@gmail.com> Fri, 08 July 2005 10:05 UTC

Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:05:22 +0200
From: Carlos Garcia Braschi <cgbraschi@gmail.com>
To: rtg-bfd@ietf.org, dward@cisco.com, dkatz@juniper.net
Subject: LC comments single hop
Sender: rtg-bfd-bounces@ietf.org

Hello,

It may be a contrived case, but:
In the context of using BFD with RIP
If
- The RIP messages are used to detect with whom to establish BFD
sessions. That is, BFD sessions are established with senders from
which announcements are received.
- One of the two sides is a passive RIP listener.

(This may make sense where the passive listener is redistributing the
received routes to another protocol).

Then
The non-passive side cannot take the "Active" role in the BFD session,
as it does not know where to send the BFD packets (until it receives
one with My Discriminator different from zero).

A similar case may happen with static routes (when they are not symmetrical).

I don't know if this contrived case warrants changing the wording on
point 3 of the 1-hop draft, from:
'As such, both sides of a session MUST take the "Active" role'
'As such, both sides of a session SHOULD take the "Active" role'

Regards,
Carlos.