< draft-ietf-bfd-vxlan-01.txt   draft-ietf-bfd-vxlan-02.txt >
Internet Engineering Task Force S. Pallagatti, Ed. Internet Engineering Task Force S. Pallagatti, Ed.
Internet-Draft Rtbrick Internet-Draft Rtbrick
Intended status: Standards Track S. Paragiri Intended status: Standards Track S. Paragiri
Expires: February 7, 2019 Juniper Networks Expires: February 18, 2019 Juniper Networks
V. Govindan V. Govindan
M. Mudigonda M. Mudigonda
Cisco Cisco
G. Mirsky G. Mirsky
ZTE Corp. ZTE Corp.
August 6, 2018 August 17, 2018
BFD for VXLAN BFD for VXLAN
draft-ietf-bfd-vxlan-01 draft-ietf-bfd-vxlan-02
Abstract Abstract
This document describes the use of Bidirectional Forwarding Detection This document describes the use of the Bidirectional Forwarding
(BFD) protocol in Virtual eXtensible Local Area Network (VXLAN) Detection (BFD) protocol in Virtual eXtensible Local Area Network
overlay network. (VXLAN) overlay networks.
Status of This Memo Status of This Memo
This Internet-Draft is submitted in full conformance with the This Internet-Draft is submitted in full conformance with the
provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79. provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.
Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
Task Force (IETF). Note that other groups may also distribute Task Force (IETF). Note that other groups may also distribute
working documents as Internet-Drafts. The list of current Internet- working documents as Internet-Drafts. The list of current Internet-
Drafts is at https://datatracker.ietf.org/drafts/current/. Drafts is at https://datatracker.ietf.org/drafts/current/.
Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
time. It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference time. It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
material or to cite them other than as "work in progress." material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."
This Internet-Draft will expire on February 7, 2019. This Internet-Draft will expire on February 18, 2019.
Copyright Notice Copyright Notice
Copyright (c) 2018 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the Copyright (c) 2018 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
document authors. All rights reserved. document authors. All rights reserved.
This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
Provisions Relating to IETF Documents Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
(https://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of (https://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
publication of this document. Please review these documents publication of this document. Please review these documents
skipping to change at page 2, line 32 skipping to change at page 2, line 32
8. Echo BFD . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 8. Echo BFD . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8
9. IANA Considerations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 9. IANA Considerations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8
10. Security Considerations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 10. Security Considerations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8
11. Contributors . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 11. Contributors . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8
12. Acknowledgments . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9 12. Acknowledgments . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9
13. Normative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9 13. Normative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9
Authors' Addresses . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9 Authors' Addresses . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9
1. Introduction 1. Introduction
"Virtual eXtensible Local Area Network (VXLAN)" has been described in "Virtual eXtensible Local Area Network" (VXLAN) [RFC7348]. provides
[RFC7348]. VXLAN provides an encapsulation scheme that allows an encapsulation scheme that allows virtual machines (VMs) to
virtual machines (VMs) to communicate in a data center network. communicate in a data center network.
VXLAN is typically deployed in data centers interconnecting VXLAN is typically deployed in data centers interconnecting
virtualized hosts, which may be spread across multiple racks. The virtualized hosts, which may be spread across multiple racks. The
individual racks may be part of a different Layer 3 network, or they individual racks may be part of a different Layer 3 network, or they
could be in a single Layer 2 network. The VXLAN segments/overlay could be in a single Layer 2 network. The VXLAN segments/overlays
networks are overlaid on top of these Layer 2 or Layer 3 networks. are overlaid on top of Layer 3 network.
A VM can communicate with another VM only if they are on the same A VM can communicate with another VM only if they are on the same
VXLAN. VMs are unaware of VXLAN tunnels as VXLAN tunnel is VXLAN segment. VMs are unaware of VXLAN tunnels as a VXLAN tunnel is
terminated on VXLAN Tunnel End Point (VTEP) (hypervisor/TOR). VTEPs terminated on a VXLAN Tunnel End Point (VTEP) (hypervisor/TOR).
(hypervisor/TOR) are responsible for encapsulating, and decapsulating VTEPs (hypervisor/TOR) are responsible for encapsulating and
frames exchanged among VMs. decapsulating frames exchanged among VMs.
Since underlay is an L3 network, ability to monitor path continuity, Ability to monitor path continuity, i.e., perform proactive
i.e., perform proactive continuity check (CC) for these tunnels is continuity check (CC) for these tunnels, is important. The
important. Asynchronous mode of BFD, as defined in [RFC5880], can be asynchronous mode of BFD, as defined in [RFC5880], can be used to
used to monitor a VXLAN tunnel. Use of [I-D.ietf-bfd-multipoint] is monitor a VXLAN tunnel. Use of [I-D.ietf-bfd-multipoint] is for
for future study. future study.
Also, BFD in VXLAN can be used to monitor the particular service Also, BFD in VXLAN can be used to monitor the particular service
nodes that are designated to properly handle Layer 2 broadcast, nodes that are designated to properly handle Layer 2 broadcast,
unknown unicast, and multicast traffic. Such nodes, often referred unknown unicast, and multicast traffic. Such nodes, often referred
"replicators", are usually virtual VTEPs can be monitored by physical "replicators", are usually virtual VTEPs and can be monitored by
VTEPs to minimize BUM traffic directed to the unavailable replicator. physical VTEPs to minimize BUM traffic directed to the unavailable
replicator.
This document describes the use of Bidirectional Forwarding Detection This document describes the use of Bidirectional Forwarding Detection
(BFD) protocol VXLAN to enable continuity monitoring between Network (BFD) protocol VXLAN to enable monitoring continuity of the path
Virtualization Edges (NVEs) and/or availability of a replicator between Network Virtualization Edges (NVEs) and/or availability of a
service node using BFD. replicator service node using BFD.
In this document, the terms NVE and VTEP are used interchangeably.
2. Conventions used in this document 2. Conventions used in this document
2.1. Terminology 2.1. Terminology
BFD - Bidirectional Forwarding Detection BFD - Bidirectional Forwarding Detection
CC - Continuity Check CC - Continuity Check
NVE - Network Virtualization Edge NVE - Network Virtualization Edge
skipping to change at page 3, line 48 skipping to change at page 3, line 51
The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "NOT RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "NOT RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and
"OPTIONAL" in this document are to be interpreted as described in BCP "OPTIONAL" in this document are to be interpreted as described in BCP
14 [RFC2119] [RFC8174] when, and only when, they appear in all 14 [RFC2119] [RFC8174] when, and only when, they appear in all
capitals, as shown here. capitals, as shown here.
3. Use cases 3. Use cases
The primary use case of BFD for VXLAN is for continuity check of a The primary use case of BFD for VXLAN is for continuity check of a
tunnel. By exchanging BFD control packets between VTEPs, an operator tunnel. By exchanging BFD control packets between VTEPs, an operator
exercises the VXLAN path in both in underlay and overlay thus exercises the VXLAN path in both the underlay and overlay thus
ensuring the VXLAN path availability and VTEPs reachability. BFD ensuring the VXLAN path availability and VTEPs reachability. BFD
failure detection can be used for maintenance. There are other use failure detection can be used for maintenance. There are other use
cases such as cases such as the following:
Layer 2 VMs: Layer 2 VMs:
Most deployments will have VMs with only L2 capabilities that Most deployments will have VMs with only L2 capabilities that
may not support L3. BFD being an L3 protocol can be used as may not support L3. BFD being an L3 protocol can be used as a
tunnel CC mechanism, where BFD will start and terminate at the tunnel CC mechanism, where BFD will start and terminate at the
NVEs, e.g., VTEPs. NVEs, e.g., VTEPs.
It is possible to aggregate the CC sessions for multiple It is possible to aggregate the CC sessions for multiple
tenants by running a BFD session between the VTEPs over VxLAN tenants by running a BFD session between the VTEPs over VxLAN
tunnel. In the rest of this document, terms NVE and VTEP are tunnel.
used interchangeably.
Fault localization: Fault localization:
It is also possible that VMs are L3 aware and can host a BFD It is also possible that VMs are L3 aware and can host a BFD
session. In these cases, BFD sessions can be established among session. In these cases, BFD sessions can be established among
VMs for CC. In addition, BFD sessions can be established among VMs for CC. Also, BFD sessions can be created among VTEPs for
VTEPs for tunnel CC. Having a hierarchical OAM model helps tunnel CC. Having a hierarchical OAM model helps localize
localize faults though requires additional consideration. faults though it requires additional consideration.
Service node reachability: Service node reachability:
The service node is responsible for sending BUM traffic. In The service node is responsible for sending BUM traffic. In
case a service node tunnel terminates at VTEP, and it might not case a service node tunnel terminates at a VTEP, and that VTEP
even host VM. BFD session between TOR/hypervisor and service might not even host VM. BFD session between TOR/hypervisor and
node can be used to monitor service node reachability. service node can be used to monitor service node reachability.
4. Deployment 4. Deployment
Figure 1 illustrates the scenario with two servers, each of them Figure 1 illustrates the scenario with two servers, each of them
hosting two VMs. The servers host VTEPs that terminate two VXLAN hosting two VMs. The servers host VTEPs that terminate two VXLAN
tunnels with VNI number 100 and 200 respectively. Separate BFD tunnels with VNI number 100 and 200 respectively. Separate BFD
sessions can be established between the VTEPs (IP1 and IP2) for sessions can be established between the VTEPs (IP1 and IP2) for
monitoring each of the VXLAN tunnels (VNI 100 and 200). No BFD monitoring each of the VXLAN tunnels (VNI 100 and 200). No BFD
packets intended to Hypervisor VTEP should be forwarded to a VM as VM packets intended for a Hypervisor VTEP should be forwarded to a VM as
may drop BFD packets leading to a false negative. This method is a VM may drop BFD packets leading to a false negative. This method
applicable whether VTEP is a virtual or physical device. is applicable whether the VTEP is a virtual or physical device.
+------------+-------------+ +------------+-------------+
| Server 1 | | Server 1 |
| | | |
| +----+----+ +----+----+ | | +----+----+ +----+----+ |
| |VM1-1 | |VM1-2 | | | |VM1-1 | |VM1-2 | |
| |VNI 100 | |VNI 200 | | | |VNI 100 | |VNI 200 | |
| | | | | | | | | | | |
| +---------+ +---------+ | | +---------+ +---------+ |
| Hypervisor VTEP (IP1) | | Hypervisor VTEP (IP1) |
skipping to change at page 5, line 44 skipping to change at page 5, line 44
| +---------+ +---------+ | | +---------+ +---------+ |
| Server 2 | | Server 2 |
+--------------------------+ +--------------------------+
Figure 1: Reference VXLAN domain Figure 1: Reference VXLAN domain
5. BFD Packet Transmission over VXLAN Tunnel 5. BFD Packet Transmission over VXLAN Tunnel
BFD packet MUST be encapsulated and sent to a remote VTEP as BFD packet MUST be encapsulated and sent to a remote VTEP as
explained in Section 5.1. Implementations SHOULD ensure that the BFD explained in Section 5.1. Implementations SHOULD ensure that the BFD
packets follow the same lookup path of VXLAN packets within the packets follow the same lookup path as VXLAN data packets within the
sender system. sender system.
5.1. BFD Packet Encapsulation in VXLAN 5.1. BFD Packet Encapsulation in VXLAN
VXLAN packet format has been described in Section 5 of [RFC7348]. BFD packets are encapsulated in VXLAN as described below. The VXLAN
The Outer IP/UDP and VXLAN headers MUST be encoded by the sender as packet format is defined in Section 5 of [RFC7348]. The Outer IP/UDP
defined in [RFC7348]. and VXLAN headers MUST be encoded by the sender as defined in
[RFC7348].
0 1 2 3 0 1 2 3
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| | | |
~ Outer Ethernet Header ~ ~ Outer Ethernet Header ~
| | | |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| | | |
~ Outer IPvX Header ~ ~ Outer IPvX Header ~
skipping to change at page 6, line 49 skipping to change at page 6, line 50
~ Inner UDP Header ~ ~ Inner UDP Header ~
| | | |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| | | |
~ BFD Control Message ~ ~ BFD Control Message ~
| | | |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| FCS | | FCS |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Figure 2: VXLAN Encapsulaion of BFD Control Message Figure 2: VXLAN Encapsulation of BFD Control Message
The BFD packet MUST be carried inside the inner MAC frame of the The BFD packet MUST be carried inside the inner MAC frame of the
VXLAN packet. The inner MAC frame carrying the BFD payload has the VXLAN packet. The inner MAC frame carrying the BFD payload has the
following format: following format:
Ethernet Header: Ethernet Header:
Destination MAC: This MUST be a dedicated MAC (TBA) Section 9 Destination MAC: This MUST be the dedicated MAC TBA (Section 9)
or the MAC address of the destination VTEP. The details of how or the MAC address of the destination VTEP. The details of how
the MAC address of the destination VTEP is obtained are outside the MAC address of the destination VTEP is obtained are outside
the scope of this document. the scope of this document.
Source MAC: MAC address of the originating VTEP Source MAC: MAC address of the originating VTEP
IP header: IP header:
Source IP: IP address of the originating VTEP. Source IP: IP address of the originating VTEP.
skipping to change at page 7, line 45 skipping to change at page 7, line 45
packet MUST be processed further. packet MUST be processed further.
The UDP destination port and the TTL of the inner Ethernet frame MUST The UDP destination port and the TTL of the inner Ethernet frame MUST
be validated to determine if the received packet can be processed by be validated to determine if the received packet can be processed by
BFD. BFD packet with inner MAC set to VTEP or dedicated MAC address BFD. BFD packet with inner MAC set to VTEP or dedicated MAC address
MUST NOT be forwarded to VMs. MUST NOT be forwarded to VMs.
To ensure BFD detects the proper configuration of VXLAN Network To ensure BFD detects the proper configuration of VXLAN Network
Identifier (VNI) in a remote VTEP, a lookup SHOULD be performed with Identifier (VNI) in a remote VTEP, a lookup SHOULD be performed with
the MAC-DA and VNI as key in the Virtual Forwarding Instance (VFI) the MAC-DA and VNI as key in the Virtual Forwarding Instance (VFI)
table of the originating/ terminating VTEP to exercise the VFI table of the originating/terminating VTEP to exercise the VFI
associated with the VNI. associated with the VNI.
6.1. Demultiplexing of the BFD packet 6.1. Demultiplexing of the BFD packet
Demultiplexing of IP BFD packet has been defined in Section 3 of Demultiplexing of IP BFD packet has been defined in Section 3 of
[RFC5881]. Since multiple BFD sessions may be running between two [RFC5881]. Since multiple BFD sessions may be running between two
VTEPs, there needs to be a mechanism for demultiplexing received BFD VTEPs, there needs to be a mechanism for demultiplexing received BFD
packets to the proper session. The procedure for demultiplexing packets to the proper session. The procedure for demultiplexing
packets with Your Discriminator equal to 0 is different from packets with Your Discriminator equal to 0 is different from
[RFC5880]. For such packets, the BFD session MUST be identified [RFC5880]. For such packets, the BFD session MUST be identified
skipping to change at page 8, line 27 skipping to change at page 8, line 27
aggregate BFD sessions between VTEP's is to establish a BFD session aggregate BFD sessions between VTEP's is to establish a BFD session
with VNI 0. A VTEP MAY also use VNI 0 to establish a BFD session with VNI 0. A VTEP MAY also use VNI 0 to establish a BFD session
with a service node. with a service node.
8. Echo BFD 8. Echo BFD
Support for echo BFD is outside the scope of this document. Support for echo BFD is outside the scope of this document.
9. IANA Considerations 9. IANA Considerations
IANA is requested to assign a dedicated MAC address to be used as the IANA has assigned TBA as a dedicated MAC address to be used as the
Destination MAC address of the inner Ethernet which carries BFD Destination MAC address of the inner Ethernet of VXLAN when carrying
control packet in IP/UDP encapsulation. BFD control packets.
10. Security Considerations 10. Security Considerations
The document recommends setting the inner IP TTL to 1 which could The document recommends setting the inner IP TTL to 1 which could
lead to a DDoS attack. Thus the implementation MUST have throttling lead to a DDoS attack. Thus the implementation MUST have throttling
in place. Throttling MAY be relaxed for BFD packets based on port in place. Throttling MAY be relaxed for BFD packets based on port
number. number.
Other than inner IP TTL set to 1 this specification does not raise Other than inner IP TTL set to 1 this specification does not raise
any additional security issues beyond those of the specifications any additional security issues beyond those of the specifications
skipping to change at page 9, line 10 skipping to change at page 9, line 10
Reshad Rahman Reshad Rahman
rrahman@cisco.com rrahman@cisco.com
Cisco Cisco
12. Acknowledgments 12. Acknowledgments
Authors would like to thank Jeff Hass of Juniper Networks for his Authors would like to thank Jeff Hass of Juniper Networks for his
reviews and feedback on this material. reviews and feedback on this material.
Authors would also like to thank Nobo Akiya, Marc Binderberger and Authors would also like to thank Nobo Akiya, Marc Binderberger,
Shahram Davari for the extensive review. Shahram Davari and Donald E. Eastlake 3rd for the extensive reviews
and the most detailed and helpful comments.
13. Normative References 13. Normative References
[I-D.ietf-bfd-multipoint] [I-D.ietf-bfd-multipoint]
Katz, D., Ward, D., Networks, J., and G. Mirsky, "BFD for Katz, D., Ward, D., Networks, J., and G. Mirsky, "BFD for
Multipoint Networks", draft-ietf-bfd-multipoint-18 (work Multipoint Networks", draft-ietf-bfd-multipoint-18 (work
in progress), June 2018. in progress), June 2018.
[RFC2119] Bradner, S., "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate [RFC2119] Bradner, S., "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate
Requirement Levels", BCP 14, RFC 2119, Requirement Levels", BCP 14, RFC 2119,
 End of changes. 25 change blocks.
52 lines changed or deleted 57 lines changed or added

This html diff was produced by rfcdiff 1.47. The latest version is available from http://tools.ietf.org/tools/rfcdiff/