Progressing BFD authentication documents

Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org> Sat, 16 February 2019 17:08 UTC

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 12:07:40 -0500
From: Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org>
To: rtg-bfd@ietf.org
Subject: Progressing BFD authentication documents

Working Group,

On March 28, 2018, we started Working Group Last Call on the following document
bundle:

  draft-ietf-bfd-secure-sequence-numbers
  draft-ietf-bfd-optimizing-authentication
  draft-ietf-bfd-stability

The same day, Mahesh Jethanandani acknowledged there was pending IPR
declarations against these drafts.  An IPR declaration was finally posted on
November 1, 2018.  In particular, it notes a patent.  The licenseing is
RAND.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/3328/

In the time since the WGLC was requested, there were a number of technical
comments made on these drafts.  It's my belief that all substantial
technical comments had been addressed in the last posted version of these
documents.  Note that there was one lingering comment about Yang
considerations for the BFD module with regard to enabling this optimized
authentication mode which can be dealt with separably.

The chairs did not carry out a further consensus call to ensure that there
are no further outstanding technical issues.

On November 21, Greg Mirsky indicated an objection to progressing the
document due to late disclosure.

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/rtg-bfd/u8rvWwvDWRKI3jseGHecAB9WtDo

Since we are a little over a month prior to the upcoming IETF 104, this
seems a good time to try to decide how the Working Group shall finish this
work.  Since we are meeting in Prague, this may progress to microphone
conversation.

For the moment, the chairs' perceived status of the documents are:
- No pending technical issues with the documents with one known issue.
- Concerns over late disclosure of IPR.
- No solid consensus from the Working Group that we're ready to proceed.
  This part may be covered by a future consensus call, but let's hear list
  discussion first.

-- Jeff