RtgDir review: draft-ietf-bfd-on-lags-03

<thomas.morin@orange.com> Mon, 02 December 2013 09:44 UTC

From: thomas.morin@orange.com
To: "rtg-ads@tools.ietf.org" <rtg-ads@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: RtgDir review: draft-ietf-bfd-on-lags-03
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 09:43:55 +0000
user-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/24.1.1
x-originating-ip: [10.197.38.1]
Cc: "rtg-dir@ietf.org" <rtg-dir@ietf.org>, "rtg-bfd@ietf.org" <rtg-bfd@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-bfd-on-lags.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-bfd-on-lags.all@tools.ietf.org>

Hello,

I have been selected as the Routing Directorate reviewer for this draft.
The Routing Directorate seeks to review all routing or routing-related
drafts as they pass through IETF last call and IESG review, and
sometimes on special request. The purpose of the review is to provide
assistance to the Routing ADs. For more information about the Routing
Directorate, please seehttp://www.ietf.org/iesg/directorate/routing.html

Although these comments are primarily for the use of the Routing ADs, it
would be helpful if you could consider them along with any other IETF
Last Call comments that you receive, and strive to resolve them through
discussion or by updating the draft.

Document: draft-ietf-bfd-on-lags-03
Reviewer: Thomas Morin
Review Date: December 1st, 2013
IETF LC End Date: December 2nd, 2013
Intended Status: Proposed Standard

   The document is concise, well written, and raises no major issue.
   However, bringing clarifications to a few areas should be considered
prior to publication.

Major Issues:

   None.

Minor Issues:

- Mi.1) The document mentions the use of a specific UDP port for the
micro-BFD sessions (6784). It should probably explain what is the
behavior if BFD messages from a micro-BFD sessions are received on the
normal BFD port (3784), and vice-versa what is the behavior for BFD
messages from a non-BFD sessions is received on the micro-BFD UDP port.

- Mi.2) The document indicates in section 2.2 that "The details of how
[the destination IP address of the BFD peer] is learned are outside the
scope of this document.".  First, an example of a common practice would
be great to provide an illustration.  Second, I would find it worth
documenting how this can be done in practice on an unnumbered link

- Mi.3) The notion of "L3 continuity" is used in the introduction, but
it is not explained what this means; it would deserve being explained as
the idea of "continuity" may not be obvious to interpret in a contect
where a single L3 hop is being tested.

- Mi.4) Section 4 mentions "LMM" and "some Interface management module"
without providing any definition nor explaining the role of such modules.

- Mi.5) The behavior described in the Appendix looks very important for
smooth activation of the feature in a real network and is actually
specification text. I'm thus surprised to find it in an Appendix --
where it could be missed by implementors.  I would suggest considering
moving this text among the rest of technical specifications sections.

** Editorial comments:

- Ed.1) I would suggest removing the mention of the use of a specific
UDP port from the Abstract, which would then be more concise -- the
motivation for using a specific UDP port so could be provided in section
2.2.

- Ed.2) Section 2.3: "For the following BFD packets with Up state the
MAC address from the received BFD packets for the session MAY be used
instead of the dedicated MAC. "

    => "the _source_ MAC address from the received BFD packets" ?
(adding "source" would remove any risk of ambiguous interpretation)

- Ed.3) Section 5: "MAY remove the member link from the load balance
table only that matches the address family of the failing BFD session"

   I had issues parsing this sentence; what about: "MAY remove the
member link from only the load balance table that matches..."

   Furthermore, it would be nice to add a colon at the end of the
sentence to indicate that what follows is an illustration of what precedes.

   Last, I think it would be worth indicating explicitly that "The
member link MAY also be removed from both the L4 and L6 load balancing
table".

- Ed.4) I believe you need to update contact information for Nitin Bahadur.

Thank you.