RE: I-D ACTION:draft-shen-bfd-intf-p2p-nbr-00.txt

"Miya Kohno \(mkohno\)" <mkohno@cisco.com> Thu, 05 April 2007 13:28 UTC

Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 21:28:13 +0800
From: "Miya Kohno (mkohno)" <mkohno@cisco.com>
To: "Naiming Shen (naiming)" <naiming@cisco.com>
Cc: rtg-bfd@ietf.org
Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-shen-bfd-intf-p2p-nbr-00.txt

Hi Naiming,

I felt shutting down the interface might be too aggressive, because
there is a case that fast-detection/fast-convergence, which could
conflict with the stability or fault tolerance (GR/NSF..),  is not
always preferable.

But it's true we run BFD only because we want the fast convergence. :) A
concern would be the case that multiple protocol instances share an
interface and one of the instances doesn't want the fast convergence
while others do. That's why I still think it'd be beneficial if each
protocol instance can select to register or not. But then it requires an
additional development for each client protocols, while your proposal
that bring down the interface doesn't. So I agree that there are cases
where your proposal is useful.

Miya