Eric Rescorla's No Objection on draft-ietf-bfd-multipoint-18: (with COMMENT)

Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com> Tue, 03 July 2018 23:58 UTC

From: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: Reshad Rahman <rrahman@cisco.com>, draft-ietf-bfd-multipoint@ietf.org, rtg-bfd@ietf.org, rrahman@cisco.com, bfd-chairs@ietf.org
Subject: Eric Rescorla's No Objection on draft-ietf-bfd-multipoint-18: (with COMMENT)
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2018 16:58:42 -0700

Eric Rescorla has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bfd-multipoint-18: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bfd-multipoint/

COMMENT:

Rich version of this review at:
https://mozphab-ietf.devsvcdev.mozaws.net/D3589

It's not entirely clear to me what the relationship is between this
document and RFC5880. Can you clarify?

How does this handle duplicate/reordered packets? If I am reading RFC
5880 correctly, you only get that if you have authentication?

COMMENTS
S 1.

>      As multipoint transmissions are inherently unidirectional, this
>      mechanism purports only to verify this unidirectional connectivity.
>      Although this seems in conflict with the "Bidirectional" in BFD, the
>      protocol is capable of supporting this use case.  Use of BFD in
>      Demand mode enables a tail monitor availability of a multipoint path

enables a tail monitor -> allows a tail to monitor?

If not, I am confused

S 5.13.1.
>         If the Detect Mult field is zero, the packet MUST be discarded.
>
>         If the My Discriminator field is zero, the packet MUST be
>         discarded.
>
>         Demultiplex the packet to a session according to Section 5.13.2

This is a bit confusing because it applies to the section here and not
in 5880.

S 5.13.2.
>               PointToPoint MAY be created, or the packet MAY be discarded.
>               This choice MAY be controlled by a local policy and is
>               outside the scope of this specification.
>
>            If the State field is Init and bfd.SessionType is not
>            PointToPoint, the packet MUST be discarded.

Is this material just duplicative of 5880?

S 6.
>      from the viewpoint of any other tail.  For this reason, using shared
>      keys to authenticate BFD Control packets in multipoint scenarios is a
>      significant security exposure unless all tails can be trusted not to
>      spoof the head.  Otherwise, asymmetric message authentication would
>      be needed, e.g., protocols that use Timed Efficient Stream Loss-
>      Tolerant Authentication (TESLA) as described in [RFC4082].

As Ben's review implies, digital signatures would be an appropriate
thing to use here.