Re: WGLC comments on bfd-mpls-05

Nadeau Thomas <tnadeau@lucidvision.com> Wed, 07 May 2008 21:02 UTC

From: Nadeau Thomas <tnadeau@lucidvision.com>
To: Rahul Aggarwal <rahul@juniper.net>
Subject: Re: WGLC comments on bfd-mpls-05
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 17:02:07 -0400
Cc: Ross Callon <rcallon@juniper.net>, rtg-bfd@ietf.org, dward@cisco.com
Sender: rtg-bfd-bounces@ietf.org

On May 7, 2008:4:00 PM, at 4:00 PM, Rahul Aggarwal wrote:

> [...]
>> [BFD-IP]? Could that be clarified as well, since it might not be
>> directly apparent?
>>

> I will clarify this.
>
> <snipped>

>>> This is normal LSP-Ping procedure.
>>
>> The normal LSP-Ping procedure generates an LSP-Ping reply with a
>> result
>> code that could differ from "AOK", and could for example be "Replying
>> router has no mapping for the FEC at stack-depth <RSC>" or "No label
>> entry at stack-depth <RSC>"; in these cases, in the new procedures, I
>> think that the egress LSR should not send a BFD control packet (as
>> there
>> is a FEC<->Label mismatch detected, and the feature of using LSP-Ping
>> with BFD so that "the presence of the FEC in the echo request message
>> makes is possible to verify the control plane against the data
>> plane at
>> the egress LSR" would become a NOOP). Shouldn't the BFD session be
>> bootstrapped only after a successful control-plane checking (and
>> ideally
>> including FEC Validation)?
>>

> I see there is value in clarifying this. Will do.
>
> <snipped>
>

>>> How about inserting the following text to clarify this:
>>
>> I think this clarifies, with two small comments inline, thanks:
>>

>>> "To enable fault detection procedures specified in this document,
>>> for a
>>> particular MPLS LSP, this document requires the ingress and
>>> egress LSRs to be configured. This includes configuration for
>>> supporting
>>> BFD and LSP-Ping as specified in this document. It also includes
>>> configuration that enables to the ingress LSR to determine the
>>                ^
>>                or signaling
>>

> The whole point is that this document does not specify any signaling
> discover the ingress/egress capabilities. It relies on configuration.
>
>>> method used by the egress LSR to identify OAM packets e.g. whether
>>> the TTL
>>> of the innermost MPLS label needs to be set to 1 to enable the
>>> egress LSR
>>> to identify the OAM packet. This applies to fault detection for
>>> MPLS PWs
>>> as well.
>>
>> "For fault detection for MPLS PWs, this document also assume that a
>> PW
>> control channel (e.g., a PW-ACH) and support for LSP-Ping are
>> provided
>> prior to initializing the procedures specified in this document, as
>> specified in [RFC5085]. "
>>
>> or something along those lines.
>>

> I don't think that makes sense as this document relies on
> configuration.
> Further there is no point in signaling LSP-Ping capability if BFD
> capability cannot be signaled.
>
> I fail to see why it is not enough to spell out that this document
> requires configuration. It doesn't preclude capability signaling to be

	I agree for the static case things are explicitly configured.
However, I think the confusion here lies in the fact that we could
configure the capability, and then advertise the BFD/VCCV capability,
right? But those are explicitly detailed in the vccv-bfd document
(draft-ietf-pwe3-vccv-bfd-01).  It might be most appropriate to simply
remove the forward reference to the vccv-bfd stuff from here, and only
refer to this document from there.

	--Tom