RE: WGLC for BFD over Link Aggregate Group Interfaces - ends November 8

Marc Binderberger <marc@sniff.de> Wed, 30 October 2013 06:22 UTC

Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 23:22:39 -0700
From: Marc Binderberger <marc@sniff.de>
To: "Bhatia, Manav (Manav)" <manav.bhatia@alcatel-lucent.com>, Mahesh Jethanandani <mjethanandani@gmail.com>
Subject: RE: WGLC for BFD over Link Aggregate Group Interfaces - ends November 8
Cc: "rtg-bfd@ietf.org" <rtg-bfd@ietf.org>

Hello Mahesh and Manav,

I share some non-understanding with Manav. The part ...

> The fundamental issue is that the proposal requires BFD protocol to rely on
> information that is not carried in the frame itself

... didn't make much sense to me either. Can you explain? I can guess
that this first point is the same as the second point: how to get the
interface information?

We also do not make the assumption that the internal IP API is carrying
interface information. Actually at least one vendor has exactly the
situation of clearly separated L2 and L3 APIs on one of it's platforms
and can implement the draft nevertheless.  In other words what you see
as a problem isn't one.
(implementation hint: binding of MAC API per interface)

Regards, Marc