Re: [RTG-DIR] [SPF:fail] Re: RtgDir review: draft-ietf-6lo-deadline-time-03

Lijo Thomas <lijo@cdac.in> Thu, 07 February 2019 12:30 UTC

Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2019 17:59:35 +0530
From: Lijo Thomas <lijo@cdac.in>
To: Charlie Perkins <charles.perkins@earthlink.net>
Cc: "draft-ietf-6lo-deadline-time@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-6lo-deadline-time@ietf.org>, rtg-dir@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [RTG-DIR] [SPF:fail] Re: RtgDir review: draft-ietf-6lo-deadline-time-03

Hi Charlie ,

Yup, we need to have a some round of discussion so that we could arrive at a
conclusion.

The problem with the current reviews what I felt, was that they put some
comments and doesn't guide a minimum level to proceed further.

But the point is that if we cant streamline our bits usage, it wont be really
useful for the real implementations.

Also making origination time default and adding delta would also be costlier
when we compared to passing  deadline time only. I agree there is a trade off.

I have shared an earlier document  indicating the comments to address and some
solutions after some discussions, hence kindly go through if it is convenient.

Bit confused to arrive at a conclusion while reading all the comments we
received.

Hence I request you to suggest the best possible way to move forward.

Happy to receive your further inputs.

Thanks & Regards
Lijo Thomas

On February 7, 2019 at 7:12 AM Charlie Perkins <charles.perkins@earthlink.net>
wrote:
> Hello Lijo and all,
>
> I reckon we need to pick a new time representation.  If no one objects
> to having the time representations take up more bits, then we can just
> make the origination field mandatory and the deadline time into a delta,
> as suggested.  I have an alternative idea but I don't think it has been
> used before and so people might not like dealing with an entirely new
> time format.
>
> We could probably keep the ASN option.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Regards,
> Charlie P.
>
> On 1/7/2019 6:24 AM, Dan Frost wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have been selected as the Routing Directorate reviewer for this draft. The
> > Routing Directorate seeks to review all routing or routing-related drafts as
> > they pass through IETF last call and IESG review, and sometimes on special
> > request. The purpose of the review is to provide assistance to the Routing
> > ADs. For more information about the Routing Directorate, please see
> > https://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/rtg/trac/wiki/RtgDir
> >
> > Although these comments are primarily for the use of the Routing ADs, it
> > would be helpful if you could consider them along with any other IETF Last
> > Call comments that you receive, and strive to resolve them through
> > discussion or by updating the draft.
> >
> > Document: draft-ietf-6lo-deadline-time-03
> > Reviewer: Dan Frost
> > Review Date: 2019-01-07
> > Intended Status: Standards Track

> > I have some minor concerns about this document that I think should be
> > resolved before publication.
> >
> > Comments:
> >
> > This draft specifies a mechanism for including packet delivery deadline
> > times, in the form of an elective 6LoWPAN routing header, for use in
> > low-power and lossy networks with real-time requirements for end-to-end
> > delay. Routers can use packet deadline times to make informed scheduling
> > decisions or discard overdue packets. The timing metadata can also be useful
> > for performance monitoring and diagnostics.
> >
> > The draft is, for the most part, clear, and the writing quality is good.
> >
> > Major Issues:
> >
> > No major issues found.
> >
> > Minor Issues:
> >
> > The main issue I see with the spec is the way timestamp formats are
> > specified with the TU (time units) field. The possible values for this field
> > include "seconds" and "microseconds". This is unusual, particularly in
> > combination with the EXP field, which leads to some time values having
> > multiple representations. And when representing absolute timestamps, we'd
> > usually use well-known formats like NTP or IEEE 1588. The draft probably
> > needs to rework the timestamp representation options along these lines,
> > including specifying a single default format for interoperability (we did
> > this in RFC 6374, for example). An important consideration here is the
> [...]
[ C-DAC is on Social-Media too. Kindly follow us at:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CDACINDIA & Twitter: @cdacindia ]