Re: [Rtg-dt-encap-considerations] Dallas - draft agenda, speakers, and slides!!

Erik Nordmark <nordmark@sonic.net> Mon, 16 March 2015 21:28 UTC

Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 14:28:07 -0700
From: Erik Nordmark <nordmark@sonic.net>
To: rtg-dt-encap-considerations@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Rtg-dt-encap-considerations] Dallas - draft agenda, speakers, and slides!!

On 3/16/15 1:51 PM, Black, David wrote:
> Erik,
>
> The slides generally look good, and I'm actually going to suggest adding a couple of topics:
>
> - 9 Extensibility: Congestion control is mentioned.
> - 10 Layering of multiple encaps: Transport folks care about effects of X-in-Y-in-Z,
> 		particularly when there's a layer 4 protocol involved in each of them.
> 		MTU and ECN are two reasons why.
OK

> On balance, I think the next header topic can come out unless it's needed to set up the Layering topic.
Right now it looks useful for setup.

> Here are a few other things that I noticed:
>
> - I wonder whether the word "transport" is always being used in a TSV sense.  I saw at least
> 	one place (slide 4) where it may have been used in an MPLS (MPLS-TP ?) sense. TSV does
> 	not consider MPLS to be a "transport" protocol in the TSV sense, if that helps.

I think it never means TCP/UDP in this slide set, but instead means the
underlying frame delivery. We'll have hand out (rose-colored?) glasses
in TSVWG to make the reader see the terms they expect since they need
those glasses to read the draft ;-)

Or setup google translate to translate between the EN-US-IETF-RTG and
EN-US-IETF-TSV languages ;-)

More seriously, I'll flag this better in the slides and make sure folks
are awake.
> - As this is not an RTG meeting, explain what NVO3, SFC and BIER are before putting up slide 7.
OK.
> - The words "Congestion management" in the middle bullet on slide 8 *will* get you into trouble ;-).
> 	I don't think this is congestion management; it appears to be primarily traffic engineering
> 	and related operational traffic management for congestion avoidance.  The MPLS-in-UDP draft
> 	may contain some useful language to talk about this.
How about wording the slide as:
*

  *

    TE/traffic management differs from TCP CC

        The underlay is well-provisioned, policed

      o Due to multi-tenancy, endpoint CC is not trusted

*
> - The last bullet on slide 11 did not parse for me, sorry.
Yes, it doesn't parse.
*What it means to say is more like "**Other encaps could do
frag/reassembly". Point is that NVO3, SFC, and BIER seems to assume a
network with sufficient and managed MTU.*

Thanks,
    Erik