Re: [Rtg-yang-coord] Fwd: [netmod] Opstate solutions discussions: update and request for WG input

"Susan Hares" <shares@ndzh.com> Wed, 08 June 2016 16:52 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
To: 'Lou Berger' <lberger@labn.net>, Rtg-yang-coord@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 12:52:33 -0400
Cc: 'Benoit Claise' <bclaise@cisco.com>, i2rs@ietf.org, 'Alia Atlas' <akatlas@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Rtg-yang-coord] Fwd: [netmod] Opstate solutions discussions: update and request for WG input

Lou:

My email message was to express my concerns as I2RS co-chair.
<WG co-chair hat on>
  [A] does not even consider ephemeral.  [B] at least considers it, but does
not match I2RS requirements.  As I2RS WG Chair, both [A] and [B] have
problems.
<WG co-chair hat off>

<individual contributor hat on>
 Either [A] or [B] work as long as ephemeral state gets handed.  On B, at
least [4] and [5] at least give some ideas on handling ephemeral state. I
will work with authors [1][2][3][4][5] to suggest ephemeral improvements.
Will getting support [A] or [B] to work as individual contributor.
<individual contributor hat off>
Sue Hares

=========

 .   [A] does not even consider ephemeral.  [B] at least considers it, but
does not match it.  As I2RS WG Chair, [A] and [B] both has problems.
<WG chair hat off>
<individual contributor>
[A] - will not cause me to re-write data models.  All data models (BGP,
I2RS) have split between operational data and configuration data.
[B] As individual contributor, I appreciate that [4] and [5] at trying to
work through the details of ephemeral.  [5] has a really good diagram in
section 4 that would work for I2RS Ephemeral Configuration State.  [5] uses
the term "ephemeral configuration datastore" and correctly understands what
a get of the ephemeral datastore should result in.  It also allows multiple
layers.  However, [5] has not considered the multi-headed issues in the I2RS
ephemeral requirements.
</individual contributor off>