Re: [Rtg-yang-coord] Fwd: [netmod] Opstate solutions discussions: update and request for WG input

"Susan Hares" <shares@ndzh.com> Wed, 08 June 2016 16:10 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
To: 'Lou Berger' <lberger@labn.net>, Rtg-yang-coord@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 12:10:09 -0400
Cc: 'Benoit Claise' <bclaise@cisco.com>, i2rs@ietf.org, 'Alia Atlas' <akatlas@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Rtg-yang-coord] Fwd: [netmod] Opstate solutions discussions: update and request for WG input

Lou:

Thank you for your work on the two options.  I'd like to comment on the
following statement in your message statement, and reference a few things in
[4] and [5] regarding ephemeral state:

You state:
"  2) Model OpState using a revised logical datastore definition
       as introduced in [4] and also covered in [5]. There is
       also a variant of this that we believe doesn't significantly
       impact this choice.
       With this approach, model definitions need no explicit
       changes to support applied configuration."

In [4], the author states:

   "o  The model foresees ephemeral datastores that are by definition not
      part of the persistent configuration of a device.  These ephemeral
      datastores are considered to interact with the rest of the system
      like any other control-plane mechanisms (e.g., routing protocols,
      discovery protocols).  [XXX Note that this is different from what
      is described in some of the I2RS documents.  XXX]"

In [5], the author states:

"5.5.  Ephemeral Configuration Datastore (Optional)
   This document does not intend to formally define an Ephemeral
   Configuration Datastore.  In particular, it must be noted that the
   ephemeral configuration datastore described here does not match that
   described in version -09 of draft-ietf-i2rs-ephemeral-state
   [I-D.ietf-i2rs-ephemeral-state].  Instead, it describes conceptually
   how such a datastore (restricted to configuration only) might fit
   into a conceptual refined datastore model."

Therefore, the result of I2RS WG spending 2 years writing requirements for
the ephemeral data store that both option 2 documents "do not  match" the
I2RS ephemeral requirements set.  [4] lumps ephemeral with operational
state.  [5] provides an ephemeral architecture closer to I2RS ephemeral
requirements, but does not understand that draft-ietf-i2rs-ephemeral-state
is a requirements document.    Your statement " With this approach, model
definitions need no explicit changes to support applied configuration"
cannot be true if you consider the I2RS data models (RIB, topology).

How is option (2) a reasonable design for ephemeral state?  I have spent the
last week answering questions to Juergen [4] on the I2RS ephemeral state.
After our discussion, he did not have any specific suggestions to change
these requirements
(https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/i2rs/current/msg03688.html).

Can I have an option 2b that considers ephemeral state based on the
requirements listed by I2RS?

 Sue Hares
 I2RS WG-chair