RE: VPN security vs SD-WAN security

"Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com> Mon, 30 July 2018 12:24 UTC

From: "Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com>
To: Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net>, Greg Mirsky <gregimirsky@gmail.com>
CC: "rtgwg@ietf.org" <rtgwg@ietf.org>, "TEAS WG (teas@ietf.org)" <teas@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: VPN security vs SD-WAN security
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 12:23:56 +0000
References: <CA+b+ERmfOaFMURD2eNPScs2SZ88rOEfGXZZJsqGDWX3M6bTY-g@mail.gmail.com> <0cb8f15b-7538-500c-dda3-915bf9814f94@gmail.com> <5D10C0C4-B93D-463F-A071-EEA6F35506CD@cisco.com> <CA+b+ERkqrr4Wr+Wy9q81SpyWi7H1s=z_RAvbc3Rbddvpgb7Xpg@mail.gmail.com> <76CD132C3ADEF848BD84D028D243C927A71506F6@NKGEML515-MBS.china.huawei.com> <CA+b+ERmWDhXf0ia8mQ25=QZw-h_ipkAQnttsirQb3kOk_fhUVA@mail.gmail.com> <CA+RyBmX1Wj-aH+rWhQ1LLVrBkEq12Hz-DT1gYBF0TRx1ewaEzg@mail.gmail.com> <CA+b+ERmOFwgv+_8KBUx_sQnxXxgua53j5d8QEm=C9ppObkgwVQ@mail.gmail.com>
x-originating-ip: [10.130.151.75]

(Adding TEAS as it is where the VPN+ framework draft is discussed)

Hi Robert and Greg,

As discussed during the VPN+ presentation in TEAS at IETF 102, the scope is not the internet, as we know it would quite difficult or even impossible to achieve the required guarantee at the scope of internet.

And clearly the VPN overlays cannot provide the required guarantee, deep integration with the underlay resource would be necessary.

Another aspect we may take into consideration is the factor of overprovisioning. The current network only has one overprovisioning factor, which may not meet the requirement of different services/customers. With network slicing, it is possible to have different overprovisioning policy and factor in different slices.

Best regards,
Jie