Re: [Rtg-dt-yang-arch] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-rtgyangdt-rtgwg-device-model-03.txt

Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net> Thu, 25 February 2016 13:25 UTC

Subject: Re: [Rtg-dt-yang-arch] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-rtgyangdt-rtgwg-device-model-03.txt
To: stephane.litkowski@orange.com
From: Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 08:24:52 -0500
Cc: Routing Area YANG Architecture DT <rtg-dt-yang-arch@ietf.org>, Routing WG <rtgwg@ietf.org>

Stephane,
	See below.
On 02/24/2016 10:02 PM, stephane.litkowski@orange.com wrote:
> Hi Lou,
>

> From a high level perspective, schema mount looks really good in term
> of simplification. I went to the draft quickly (very quickly), and I
> may see an issue. Let's take the example of LNE, LNE may not have the
> exact same configuration statements as the physical host, as example
> some HW specific parameters that can only be configured on the
> physical host. In this case, when you mount the model into LNE, we
> need the ability to prune some subtree of the mounted tree.

Agreed (I think).

> This
> pruning capacity does not seem to be taken into account yet.

We tried to cover this point in sec 3.1:

   Resources assigned to the LNE will be represented in that LNE's
   resource modules. e.g., an LNE's interfaces module will contain the
   interfaces assigned to that LNE from the containing network-device.

and in sec 3.2:
   ... When accessing an LNE via an LNE's management interface, a
   network-device representation will be presented, but its scope will
   be limited to the specific LNE.  Normal YANG/NETCONF mechanisms,
   together with ietf-yang-library, can be used to identify the
   available modules.  Each supported module will be presented as a top
   level module.  Only LNE associated resources will be reflected in
   resource related modules, e.g., interfaces, hardware and perhaps QoS.
   From the management perspective, there will be no difference between
   the available LNE view (information) and an a physical network
   device.

I'm sure there's room for improvement here and any suggestions  would be
appreciated!

Thanks,
Lou