Re: WG adoption poll on draft-nitish-vrrp-bfd-04

Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu> Sun, 09 October 2016 12:55 UTC

Subject: Re: WG adoption poll on draft-nitish-vrrp-bfd-04
To: rtg-bfd@ietf.org, "rtgwg@ietf.org" <rtgwg@ietf.org>, rtgwg-chairs@ietf.org, "bfd-chairs@ietf.org" <bfd-chairs@ietf.org>, "mpls-chairs@ietf.org" <mpls-chairs@ietf.org>
From: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2016 20:55:12 +0800

Folks,

When the mpls wg last called draft-ietf-mpls-bfd-directed we received
the following comment related the IPRs disclosed for this document:

   "Ross, thanks for this notice.
    I need to read the IPR referenced by the disclosure, but pending
    that, I do not support this document going forward in its current
    state.

    I think it is important for the working group to seek to develop
    solutions that either completely unencumbered by IPR or that is
    available on free-to-implementers terms. It may turn out that this
    is not possible with the disclosed IPR, but I think the WG should
    try.

    For the avoidance of doubt: I am not making any comment on the
    IPR-holder's rights to impose whatever license they want, and I am
    not asking them to vary their terms.

    I do note that it would be convenient if the IPR holder updated the
    disclosure to show that it applies to the current WG draft.

    Thanks,

    Adrian"

The document has since then been blocked by failure to reach a
consensus on the IPR. In the mean time there has also been new
technical comments that the authors tried to address.

The Patent application referred to in the disclosure is:

Appl no: US Serial No.: 14/512,259
Appl date: October 13, 2014

Later updated to:
Patent, Serial, Publication, Registration, or Application/File number(s)
US Serial No: 14/846580, filed Sept 4, 2015

This document has a very similar (not to say identical) IPR disclosure
referencing:

Appl.No: US Serial No: 14/512.259
Appl.date: October 13, 2014

(for some reason this has not been updated.

I note the same thing as Adrian, it would be convenient if the IPR
holder updated the disclosure to show that it applies to the current
WG draft(s).

For the time being and for the very same reason that apply to the mpls
wg document I do not support this document being adopted as a wg doc,
unless it is clearly stated that the goal is to create a standard that
is that the working group to seek to develop a solution that either is
completely unencumbered by IPR or that is available on free-to-
implement terms.

/Loa

--

Loa Andersson                        email: loa@mail01.huawei.com