RE: VPN security vs SD-WAN security

"Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com> Sat, 28 July 2018 07:51 UTC

From: "Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com>
To: Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net>, "Acee Lindem (acee)" <acee@cisco.com>
CC: "rtgwg@ietf.org" <rtgwg@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: VPN security vs SD-WAN security
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2018 07:51:12 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.130.151.75]

Hi Robert,

IMO the two approaches are targeting at different use cases and customers.

The former (network slicing) is to provide the demanding services with guaranteed performance in a converged network, while the latter (switching between multiple paralleled networks) provides the customer with the best performance that is available among those candidates. To me the latter is still some kind of best effort, and as Toerless said, it depends on the diversity you can have in the multiple networks.

And I agree with Stewart on “you always pay a price for better than best effort.”

Best regards,
Jie