Re: American Billl

ColorNet Robin <jrobin@ATELIER.FR> Fri, 16 June 2000 13:41 UTC

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 15:29:29 +0200
Sender: IETF-RUN <IETF-RUN@mailbag.cps.intel.com>
From: ColorNet Robin <jrobin@ATELIER.FR>
Subject: Re: American Billl
Comments: To: tedgavin@BELLATLANTIC.NET
Comments: cc: maxwell@chiliad.co.uk
To: IETF-RUN@mailbag.cps.intel.com

tedgavin@BELLATLANTIC.NET a écrit:
>As Jonathan pointed out several months ago, when a Frenchman receives
>spam, if it states that it complies with a "Bill in the US Senate",
>the potential effectiveness of that legislation loses is eliminated by
>the context. On a positive note, what we do here can be adopted by
>ISPs, which will enforce a "higher standard" than the aforementioned
>legislation. Especially with all of the concern about privacy that the
>press has discovered is popular for scaring their readership into
>consuming of late.

Good Afternoon,

I am speaking in the French Parliamentary meeting on Internet and Public
Liberties on Monday, and at the Brussels Parliamentary meeting on Internet
and Education on Wednesday.  A number of key issues will be broached
http://www.crc-evenements.com

The European Community official definition of CO REGULATION is now private
sector "SELF REGULATION" with governmental benediction.

The private sector is cybersquatting in the absence of coherent Governance
legislation and of almost total absence of understanding of the basic
issues linking on and off line legislative harmonisation and coherency.
At a meeting with the UK Foreign Office last week (apart from the fact
that the main officials are not on the internet even if they are beginning
to communicate through email (email adresses not available on business
cards) is the total absence of any real understanding of context let alone
of the issues involved.

We are also expanding ISOC's visibility with a key role in the ISOC
INFOethics conference in Paris in November.  Please liaise with Christine
Maxwell if any interesting thought on these matters for those who do not
follow the ISTF lists.

IPv6 will catalyse change in a number of areas and the implications for
the protection of privacy are unclear .... but some of us are hoping to
effect a role reversal enabling individual freedoms to be both preserved
and expanded.  The battle is not won yet and may not be decided until the
European Parliamentary elections of 2004 - yet there is hope that we can
reverse certain roles.   One event which may interest people is
http://www.newropeans.org where ISOC has signed a MOU for around 15
speakers.  If anyone is especially interested in speaking I may be able to
open up 1 or 2 additionnal slots (food and hotel paid but not transport)
Paris October 5 - 7th  with Prodi Delors Chirac Jospin and several
European heads of State or top ministers.

Best regards Jonathan