Re: [saad] About saad

Brian E Carpenter <brc@zurich.ibm.com> Tue, 21 October 2003 17:35 UTC

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 19:33:12 +0200
From: Brian E Carpenter <brc@zurich.ibm.com>
To: saad@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [saad] About saad
Sender: saad-admin@ietf.org

Erik Nordmark wrote:

> > 1. Concern: Domain names are overloaded; they get used for too many things
> > already.
> >
> > Response:  So?  What problems are caused by this and how does it prevent
> > them from being used as EIDs? How will using them as EIDs -- and we can
> > skip over the argument that they already _are_ EIDs, for the moment --
> > break any of the other uses for domain names?
>
> It isn't the domain names per-see that are the issues but any implied
> semantics of having multiple AAAA records for the same RRset.
>
> For instance, the AAAA RRset for www.example.com might return 5 addresses.

And might return different addresses on consecutive calls, if round robin
load sharing is in use. And the addresses returned might well be virtual,
i.e. dynamically assigned to a particular server at packet-delivery time.

So what such an FQDN actually refers to (except itself) is fuzzy indeed.

   Brian