Re: [saag] Common labeled security (comment on CALIPSO, labeled NFSv4)

Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com> Fri, 03 April 2009 16:44 UTC

Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 12:44:30 -0400
To: Santosh Chokhani <SChokhani@cygnacom.com>, saag@ietf.org
From: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>
Cc: labeled-nfs@linux-nfs.org, selinux@tycho.nsa.gov, nfsv4@ietf.org, nfs-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject: Re: [saag] Common labeled security (comment on CALIPSO, labeled NFSv4)

I really do not have time to write about all of my
concerns.  However, once you get beyond the basic classifications,
the SPIF model breaks.  They are markings that are only to be known
to people that have the clearance for those markings, this leads to a
SPIF distribution nightmare, as a subset of the real SPIF must be
given out based on access (or not) to various compartments and
such.  It just does not scale.

Russ