Re: [saag] should we revise rfc 3365?

"Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com> Thu, 24 May 2012 07:47 UTC

Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 10:47:03 +0300
From: "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com>
To: ext Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>, saag@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [saag] should we revise rfc 3365?

Hi Stephen,

This is a good discussion question.

On the MTI issue: As someone who had been arguing with you in OAuth
about the MTI topic I am obviously interested to get a resolution on
this one.
For others who had skipped the discussions in OAuth here is a pointer to
my summary:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/oauth/current/msg08019.html

I also noticed that some protocols do not necessarily have a realistic
security solution. The reasons are, however, often complex.

SIP, for example, has taken quite a different deployment route than many
of us had thought and consequently security had been impacted by this
development as well. I don't even know where to start when talking about
the challenges for SIP security. There is a huge mixture of business
models (e.g., SBCs, interconnection models), technical & user interface
challenges, the attempt to replicate the PSTN (with all it the features)
and the rise of the Web.

It is difficult to say what the right time is to conclude that something
had gone wrong and needs to be fixed or whether the time for a specific
protocol just had not come yet. I have this discussions periodically
with the mobility guys (and there is plenty of exciting security work
had been done with essentially zero deployment). Mobile IP is a
particularly interesting case since the security components are the
heaviest part in the protocol and the question arises whether the choice
of security technology has actually lead to the lack of deployment.

On DHCP security: I have myself used the pointer to the DHCP security
document knowing that it is not implemented nor deployed. The good thing
about many DHCP extensions is that they do not get deployed and so there
isn't a lot of harm after all.

Ciao
Hannes

Of