Re: [saag] Section 2.9: was Re: AD review of draft-iab-crypto-alg-agility-06

Steve Crocker <steve@shinkuro.com> Tue, 01 September 2015 17:28 UTC

From: Steve Crocker <steve@shinkuro.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2015 13:28:17 -0400
To: "saag@ietf.org" <saag@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [saag] Section 2.9: was Re: AD review of draft-iab-crypto-alg-agility-06

The challenge is knowing when old algorithms can be dropped safely.  There has to be widespread adoption of newer algorithms and there has to be evidence of that widespread adoption.  Removal from the OS is the last step.  Prior to that the usage of the old algorithm has to drop to near zero, and that will happen only when it's evident to the party that chooses which algorithm to use is confident the other party is capable of using the newer algorithm.

Each of these steps takes a long time.  The process moves along more quickly if there is some sort of measurement or reporting of which algorithms the responding party is capable of using.

See RFC 6975 for our attempt to deal with this for DNSSEC.

Thanks,

Steve

Sent from my iPhone