[sacm] Alexey Melnikov's No Objection on draft-ietf-sacm-nea-swima-patnc-03: (with COMMENT)

Alexey Melnikov <aamelnikov@fastmail.fm> Wed, 28 February 2018 15:13 UTC

From: Alexey Melnikov <aamelnikov@fastmail.fm>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-sacm-nea-swima-patnc@ietf.org, sacm@ietf.org, Karen O'Donoghue <odonoghue@isoc.org>, sacm-chairs@ietf.org, odonoghue@isoc.org, sacm@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 07:13:53 -0800
Subject: [sacm] Alexey Melnikov's No Objection on draft-ietf-sacm-nea-swima-patnc-03: (with COMMENT)

Alexey Melnikov has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-sacm-nea-swima-patnc-03: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sacm-nea-swima-patnc/

COMMENT:

Thank you for addressing my DISCUSS and many of my comments. Remaining comments
listed below (plus see updated point #7)

Minor:

(Points not mentioned below were addressed).

2) When referencing RFC 5198 (Network Unicode format), I personally prefer a
stricter version that disallows control characters (other than CR LF). In RFC
5198, use of control characters is only "SHOULD NOT". So you might want to make
a stronger statement on this.

5) In Section 4.3.  Required Exchanges

   All SWIMA-PVs and SWIMA-PCs MUST support both types of exchanges.

I question the value in requiring SWIMA-PVs in supporting both types of
exchanges. For example, if a SWIMA-PV never uses subscriptions, it doesn't seem
to need to handle subscription responses.

Similar text in 5.2:

   All SWIMA-PVs MUST be capable of sending SWIMA Request attributes and
   be capable of receiving and processing all SWIMA Response attributes
   as well as PA-TNC Error attributes.

6) Use of fields which can contain both human readable and possibly machine
readable information - I think this is rather handwavy and I wish you would be
more specific. Also consider issues raised in BCP 18 (RFC 2277), in particular
language tagging of human readable text.

7) (downgraded from DISCUSS): SWID registry is using
"http://invalid.unavailable" Tag Creator RegID value in Section 6.1.1.

invalid.unavailable is not a valid domain name and "unavailable" is not
registered in the special-use domain registry
<https://www.iana.org/assignments/special-use-domain-names/special-use-domain-names.xhtml>

I am not entirely sure how big of a problem this is, but use of something which
can be interpreted as a URI in a non existing non special-use domain seems like
a bad idea. Note, if you can change the value to "http://unavailable.invalid",
that would address my concern.