Re: [sacm] Adam Roach's No Objection on draft-ietf-sacm-nea-swima-patnc-02: (with COMMENT)

Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Wed, 28 February 2018 00:19 UTC

To: Kathleen Moriarty <kathleen.moriarty.ietf@gmail.com>, "Schmidt, Charles M." <cmschmidt@mitre.org>
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "sacm-chairs@ietf.org" <sacm-chairs@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-sacm-nea-swima-patnc@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-sacm-nea-swima-patnc@ietf.org>, "odonoghue@isoc.org" <odonoghue@isoc.org>, "sacm@ietf.org" <sacm@ietf.org>
From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 18:19:48 -0600
Subject: Re: [sacm] Adam Roach's No Objection on draft-ietf-sacm-nea-swima-patnc-02: (with COMMENT)

Yes, the latest version addresses my concerns. Thanks to the authors for
a rapid turn-around on these edits!

/a

On 2/27/18 3:55 PM, Kathleen Moriarty wrote:
> Adam,
>
> Please confirm if you agree your comments have been addressed.
>
> Thank you!
> Kathleen
>
> On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 4:51 PM, Schmidt, Charles M.
> <cmschmidt@mitre.org> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Thanks a bunch for the feedback. I agree with your comments and believe they are addressed in the new (-03) draft.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Charles

>>> 2. ///Applications/TurnipTwaddler
>>> 3. /Applications/TurnipTwaddler
>>>
>>> Read literally, the quoted paragraph describes the first. It probably means to
>>> describe the second (maybe?), but I suspect some implementors will
>>> interpret
>>> it as the third.
>>>
>>> This becomes even more problematic for Windows, where it might be
>>> interpreted
>>> to mean any of *four* things (where the final one is clearly wrong due to
>>> potential confusion between drive letters and URI schemes -- but which I'm
>>> sure will be implemented if not clearly spelled out):
>>>
>>> 1. :///C:/Program%20Files/TurnipTwaddler
>>> 2. ///C:/Program%20Files/TurnipTwaddler
>>> 3. /C:/Program%20Files/TurnipTwaddler
>>> 4. C:/Program%20Files/TurnipTwaddler
>>>
>>> To be clear, whatever you define in this document cannot allow the omission
>>> of a
>>> scheme to result in Form #4 above, as this is syntactically ambiguous.
>>>
>>> It also probably bears reiterating that omitting the "file" scheme from a URI
>>> doesn't exempt it from encoding according to RFC 8089 section 4 (e.g.,
>>> including an unescaped space, as in "Program Files", would be syntactically
>>> invalid).
>>>
>>> Finally, I question the assertion that "The location URI does not include an
>>> authority part." It's been a while since I used Windows on a regular basis, but
>>> my recollection is that files -- including applications -- can be accessed from
>>> a CIFS filesystem without associating a local mount point with them. It would
>>> be
>>> impossible to describe the location of such applications if the authority is
>>> required to be omitted. It is easy to anticipate that future iterations of,
>>> e.g., Linux may have similar properties. (Popular desktops already allow
>>> userland access of files on unmounted access using full URIs, which
>>> necessarily
>>> include authority components; it is not far-fetched to imagine that this
>>> functionality might be incorporated into the kernel at some point).

>>> The following appears in several places:

>>> Section 3.4.4 doesn't describe the use of Network Unicode format, so this
>>> text
>>> is confusing. I'll note that file URIs are generally going to be percent
>>> encoded, so they shouldn't contain any non-ASCII characters. Section 4 of
>>> RFC
>>> 8089 deals with encoding considerations for file URIs. Other URIs have their