[salud] Expanding where Alert-Info can appear

worley@ariadne.com (Dale R. Worley) Mon, 25 March 2013 21:40 UTC

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 17:38:57 -0400
From: worley@ariadne.com
Sender: worley@ariadne.com
To: salud@ietf.org
Subject: [salud] Expanding where Alert-Info can appear

Currently, we have this text at the start of section 1.2:

   1.2.  Alert-Info Header Field Usage Change

   This specification changes the usage of the SIP Alert-Info header
   field defined in the [RFC3261] by additionally allowing its use in
   all provisional responses to INVITE (except the 100 response).

This is correct, but it suggests that Alert-Info may not now be used
in provisional responses.  Looking at RFC 3261, Alert-Info may be used
in 180 responses, but not other responses.  I believe that we intend
to allow Alert-Info in all responses, so that it can be used in, for
example, 181 Call Is Being Forwarded and 182 Call Is Being Queued

I think we should explain the situation more fully, perhaps by adding

   Previously, the Alert-Info header field was only permitted in 180
   (Ringing) responses.  But in telephony, other situations indicated
   by SIP provisional responses, such as 181 (Call Is Being Forwarded)
   and 182 (Call Is Being Queued), are often indicated by tones.
   Extending the applicability of Alert-Info allows the telephony
   practice to be implemented in SIP.

Comments?

Dale