[SAM] New Version Notification for draft-sunzhigang-sam-labelcast-02.txt

zhigang sun <sunzhigang.nudt@gmail.com> Thu, 14 July 2011 05:36 UTC

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 13:36:54 +0800
From: zhigang sun <sunzhigang.nudt@gmail.com>
To: sam@irtf.org
Subject: [SAM] New Version Notification for draft-sunzhigang-sam-labelcast-02.txt

Hello everyone,

We have undated labelcast draft according to the questions and advices in
last IETF meeting.

The main change include:
(1) Labelcast does not exclude RTP/RTCP.
RTP/RTCP is an excellent protocol for multimedia data transportatiaphy on
and RTCP based feedback can not only provide receiver's QoE information, but
also support network tomography that can deduce network status(but not real
time).
Labelcast replaces or updates the UDP header, It can implement three
functions using its 8 byte header. Application mux/dex, in-network
measurement and label-based multicast forwarding control.

(2)labelcast can coexist with IP multicast Charter of sam says "new
protocols are expected to coexist and integrate with native IP multicast
protocols while offering more flexible deployment options and scaling to
support a greater number of simultaneous multicast groups."
So we consider labelcast can coexist with ip multicast or it is a supplement
to IP multicast. Multicast control table(or labelcast table) is configured
by external controllers while IP multicast FIB is generated by existing
routing protocols.
I think it is more like openflow. Labelcast provide a policy interface to
outside of network devices. But how to generate labelcast table by a outside
controller and the management interface define of labelcast is beyond this
draft.

(3)labelcast deployment problem is discussed We discuss its relationship to
"common API", and use IP tunnel and gateways to implement incremental
deployment. We suppose application developments are based on common API, and
middleware on the sender host can encapsulate payload into labelcast packet
and vice versa at the receiver end.

Any comments is welcome on the list, and we hope to get more feedback in the
meeting.

Best Regards.

Sun zhigang