Re: [sami] Welcome to SAMI and something you may like to know.

Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net> Tue, 23 August 2011 00:11 UTC

From: Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 20:12:53 -0400
To: Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de>
Cc: "Yingjie Gu(yingjie)" <guyingjie@huawei.com>, 'Melinda Shore' <melinda.shore@gmail.com>, 'Fan Yongbing' <fanyb@gsta.com>, sami@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [sami] Welcome to SAMI and something you may like to know.

On Aug 19, 2011, at 9:45 AM, Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 08:57:15PM +0800, Yingjie Gu(yingjie) wrote:
>
>> The scope of State migration, i.e. the scope of VM migration, is
>> within a Layer 2 subnet, which guarantees that VM's IP address can
>> keep unchanged. Though some technologies can enable VM migrates
>> between different subnets and keep the IP address unchanged, most
>> requirements for VM migration is within the same L2 subnet for now.
>
> Those setups that I have seen (but I have not seen too many and
> usually smaller onces) have a single L2 network _behind_ firewalls and
> load balancers and hence there is almost no state to migrate when a VM
> moves. It appears to me that people design their networks to make
> migration feasible (by making it a single L2 network) instead of
> trying to migrate across arbitrary network topologies.

I was unable to find a better place in this thread to put this, so I'm somewhat arbitrarily putting it here…

I have a draft (that seriously needs some revisioning) that outlines, at a VERY high level how VM Mobility can be implemented over a L3 network (tl;dr summary -- you resolver the link-layer address via a directory server and then encapsulate the traffic between the hypervisors)

This isn't the venue to discuss this (it's vaguely being discussed over on ARMD, although it's not really intended as input to ARMD), I just wanted to bring it to y'alls attention (and muddy the water somewhat):

> A new version of I-D, draft-wkumari-dcops-l3-vmmobility-00.txt has been successfully submitted by Warren Kumari and posted to the IETF repository.
>
> Filename:	 draft-wkumari-dcops-l3-vmmobility
> Revision:	 00
> Title:		 Virtual Machine mobility in L3 Networks.
> Creation date:	 2011-08-11
> WG ID:		 Individual Submission
> Number of pages: 8
>
> Abstract:
>  This document outlines how Virtual Machine mobility can be
>  accomplished in datacenter networks that are based on L3
>  technologies.  It is not really intended to solve (or fully define)
>  the problem, but rather to outline it at a very high level to
>  determine if standardization within the IETF makes sense.
>

> The IETF Secretariat

This will probably not help the scope discussions :-P