Re: [sami] FW: New Version Notification for draft-gu-statemigration-framework-00.txt

<david.black@emc.com> Fri, 06 July 2012 22:25 UTC

From: david.black@emc.com
To: guyingjie@huawei.com, sami@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 18:25:50 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: david.black@emc.com
Subject: Re: [sami] FW: New Version Notification for draft-gu-statemigration-framework-00.txt

I generally like this draft - I've sent a bunch of comments directly to the
authors, many of which are editorial.

OTOH, the 4.2 State vs. Policy section appears worthy of a wider discussion.

This section appears to introduce a concept of a related set of middleboxes
- the rough operational definition is "the set of middleboxes across which
policy has to be uniformly provisioned in order to obtain consistent policy
enforcement in the presence of middlebox state migration".  This seems rather
important to understanding the likely scope of deployment and the administrative
characteristics of state migration so I'd suggest more text on this concept
in that section or somewhere nearby.  This also relates to discussion of
middleboxes knowing about each other in the second paragraph of Section 6.
In addition, with respect to the concerns in at least section 7.2, this
leans towards a heavy reliance on configuration for (or to support) discovery.

The fact that this topic touches upon multiple sections is indicative of its
importance, and it feels like a good "place to dig" to come up with an
initial state migration problem scenario/subset) that might be solvable in
a reasonable period of time. The sort of thing I have in mind is that if
the middleboxes are under common administration, and are in the same
administrative domain as the attachment points across which the endpoint
movement occurs, a number of the hard problems in Section 7 (e.g., discovery)
are amenable to solution via configuration and the security discussion is
qualitatively rather different from what's in Section 8.

Thanks,
--David
David L. Black, Distinguished Engineer
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
david.black@emc.com        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754