Re: [savi] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-savi-threat-scope-05

<david.black@emc.com> Mon, 16 May 2011 01:46 UTC

From: david.black@emc.com
To: jmh@joelhalpern.com
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 21:45:02 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: dmcpherson@verisign.com, savi@ietf.org, gen-art@ietf.org, christian.vogt@ericsson.com, jeanmichel.combes@gmail.com, joel.halpern@ericsson.com, david.black@emc.com
Subject: Re: [savi] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-savi-threat-scope-05

Joel,

If LACP is running active-passive across links to two different switches, there may be no physical network node common to the currently active and currently passive paths for some traffic.  If SAVI is set up poorly, a switch to the currently passive link could remove validation checks or black-hole traffic that was flowing on the previously active link. For example, binding an IP address to a single port or ports on a single switch is insufficient in such an environment (address validation binding needs to span switches).

The material in 5.2.4 on Multi-LAN Hosts looks like a starting point - wrt SAVI, active-passive link aggregation across multiple switches can be a way to get into that sort of trouble on a single LAN (!).  Beyond that, I think the notion that SAVI checks should be consistent across alternate paths for the same traffic is applicable at other scopes, e.g., all egresses from a multi-homed network to the ISP networks involved.

Thanks,
--David