Re: [scale] Third (and final?) call to discuss scaling VPNs

"Adrian Farrel" <adrian@olddog.co.uk> Tue, 07 January 2014 16:34 UTC

From: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
To: "'Shah, Himanshu'" <hshah@ciena.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 16:34:34 -0000
Cc: scale@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [scale] Third (and final?) call to discuss scaling VPNs

Hi Himanshu,

You may be right. The list shows "only" 75 subscribers, but I figure that the
list was advertised well enough when created so that those who are concerned did
sign up (you found it :-).

I think as you and Ramki indicated, a number of us would be interested in
hearing what operators would like to achieve as raw numbers in DC VPNs, but to
date not only do we not have those numbers, we don't have an idea whether they
would create any issues. Perhaps these are conversations that operators prefer
to have with their vendors and the scaling issues are more related to
implementations than to protocols.

My conclusion (at the moment) is that the I-Ds that currently hint at scaling
issues for VPNs are providing solutions for speculative problems, or (worse)
trying to find justifications for protocol extensions without real cause.

We'll keep stirring, but I am not holding my breath!

Adrian

PWE3,