Re: [scap_interest] Checking language needs

<matthew.coles@emc.com> Tue, 14 February 2012 23:04 UTC

From: matthew.coles@emc.com
To: scap_interest@ietf.org, Kent_Landfield@mcafee.com
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 18:03:46 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [scap_interest] Checking language needs

Some of the challenges my team stumbled on adopting (and adapting to) SCAP were the sheer volume of formats and lack of clarity knitting all the disparate pieces together. For example, you mentioned OVAL and OCIL, and how the latter has limited adoption. I found the idea of OCIL is good, but the execution of how to properly and concretely stitch it together with XCCDF and/or OVAL can be confusing; in an older version of the SCAP/XCCDF reference material, OCIL is mentioned as a supported check language in an opening paragraph but not in any example later in that document. I also think there is a "missing link" that accurately/clearly describes the methods for coordination between multiple check systems (if there is such a guide I would be interested to understand it).

Part of the specifications that you are suggesting should include information on the development of "primitives" in the check language - at the very least with a clear indication of how these building blocks are to be used, how they interact, and basic supported interfaces for interaction. The specification(s) should be clear to new adopters, to encourage new adoption, as well as innovation, and perhaps to enable better decision making in the future around when a new check language (or policy language, etc) is necessary compared to adapting an existing mechanism.

At the very least, the process of producing specifications can help identify areas for improvement in things like documentation or guidance, to help new folks and those already familiar with the vast body of knowledge.

Just some initial thoughts as someone relatively new to this process.

--Matthew Coles | Product Security Office | RSA, the Security Division of EMC