Re: [scap_interest] Questions from David Harrington

"Natale, Bob" <RNATALE@mitre.org> Fri, 05 November 2010 06:20 UTC

From: "Natale, Bob" <RNATALE@mitre.org>
To: Stephen Hanna <shanna@juniper.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 02:20:51 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "scap_interest@ietf.org" <scap_interest@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [scap_interest] Questions from David Harrington

Hi,

I don't speak at any level for MITRE, NSA, NIST, or anyone else other than myself, but I'd like to provide some preliminary feedback to David's concerns ... hopefully, more authoritative individuals will speak up on behalf of the organizations cited in David's questions.

- My understanding is that you should think of the existing SCAP work as "rough consensus and running code".
- Many of the SCAP components are publicly available via nist.gov and MITRE's "making security measurable" site (http://msm.mitre.org).
- There is a lot more vendor support for some of the constituent SCAP standards in major COTS products than might be apparent w/o some investigation.
- The IETF should feel free to extend or refine existing SCAP standards and public implementations as it deems best for the Internet community.  Ideally, however, we'd seek a highly collaborative approach between Internet, user community, and industry on this particular front.
- MITRE is a federally funded R&D center (FFRDC) working in the public interest as a trusted advisor to its sponsors, and as an FFRDC is "prohibited from manufacturing products, competing with industry, or working for [e.g., representing]  commercial companies,".

Cheers,
BobN