Re: [scap_interest] Gaps in Risk Management

Karen Scarfone <karen@scarfonecybersecurity.com> Tue, 14 February 2012 20:57 UTC

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 15:57:18 -0500
From: Karen Scarfone <karen@scarfonecybersecurity.com>
To: Adam Montville <amontville@tripwire.com>
Cc: "scap_interest@ietf.org" <scap_interest@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [scap_interest] Gaps in Risk Management

A few quick thoughts on this:

* We can't aggregate all these vulnerabilities unless we can model their
relationships. For example, a particular configuration setting might
nullify the applicability of a particular software flaw, and configuration
settings certainly affect each other.

* There's a whole other class of vulnerabilities besides software flaws and
configurations. Basically, any other vulnerability can be considered a
trust misuse/abuse vulnerability: social engineering and insider attacks,
for example. A risk management methodology that addresses software flaws
and misconfigurations is inadequate if it doesn't capture the other
vulnerabilities as well. We do have a spec, CMSS, designed to provide
scoring for these vulnerabilities just like CVSS does for software flaws
and CCSS does for misconfigurations. What we don't yet have is a (heaven
help me) dictionary or taxonomy of CMSS vulnerabilities. (Fortunately, I'd
expect this to be pretty small and straightforward to create, compared to
CVE and CCE).

Karen