Re: [scap_interest] Scope of standards potentially moving to IETF

Sean Turner <turners@ieca.com> Thu, 16 February 2012 12:58 UTC

Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 07:58:06 -0500
From: Sean Turner <turners@ieca.com>
To: Adam Montville <amontville@tripwire.com>, "david.oliva@verizon.net" <david.oliva@verizon.net>
Cc: "scap_interest@ietf.org" <scap_interest@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [scap_interest] Scope of standards potentially moving to IETF

(assuming there is a WG) It's mostly up to the WG.  There's still
IETF-wide, IESG and external party review of WG charters.

More inline below ...

spt

On 2/15/12 11:50 AM, Adam Montville wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> I think the answer to all three of your questions is really that it's all up to the working group.  The WG has an interest in ensuring interoperability, and standards are created based on running code.  USG may continue to require validation outside the context of the WG.  Finally, as the IETF is an open organization, participation from any organization, including USG, would be welcomed.
>
> Adam
>
> From:<david.oliva@verizon.net<mailto:david.oliva@verizon.net>>
> Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 10:42:34 -0600
> To:<mchernin@dtcc.com<mailto:mchernin@dtcc.com>>, kent_landfield<kent_landfield@mcafee.com<mailto:kent_landfield@mcafee.com>>,<scap_interest@ietf.org<mailto:scap_interest@ietf.org>>
> Subject: Re: [scap_interest] Scope of standards potentially moving to IETF
>
> Hello all:
>
> I also believe that SCAP can be used worlwide and should be marketted accordingly.
> Maybe allowing IETF to endorse them is a good idea.
>
> I just have a few questions.
>
> 1.  Would IETF also take a role in validating products?

Some lurking greybeards may correct me, but I can't think of a time when
the IETF validated products - but maybe that depends on what you mean.
I can think of many bake-offs/interop events and reports of such events
that listed product x, y, and z and whether they interoperated on tests
a, b, and c.  If by validation you're thinking a letter/certificate from
the IETF saying product x is compliant with RFC ####, then I think that
won't happen.

> 2.  What mechanisms does IETF provide that encourage the cooperation needed for incorporation future specifications?

An open, consensus driven standardization process would be my answer.
List are open to anyone and drafts/RFCs are available for free.

> 3.  How would IETF take into account the input of U.S. Federal agencies in future specifications?

On USG participation, all participants in the IETF (including those of
the USG or any other Gov't) participate as individuals.  They're free
(in fact encouraged) to bring in-scope proposals to the WG.  Assuming
there's a debate about a particular feature/option in their proposal,
I'd expect them to defend their proposal just like everybody else does.
  Rationale like "We're the USG and you shalt do it this way" isn't
going to fly.  Rough consensus will rule the day.